Favorite Deer Bullets or Cartridges?

pcbuckhunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
In my most common hunting rigs

7mm Rem Mag- 150 gr Corelokts- it was Granddaddy's gun and that's what he used in it. I haven't had the heart to change

7mm STW- 140Gr Nosler Ballistic Tip

.300 Win Mag #1- 168 gr Combined Technologies Ballistic Silvertip

.300 Win Mag #2- 200 gr Nosler Accubond

45/70 Gov't- 300 gr Remington HP

.44 Rem Mag #1 - 180 gr Sierra JHC

.44 Rem Mag #2- 240 gr Hornady XTP

7mm-08 - 150 gr Combined Technologies Ballistic Silvertip

My newest acquisition

.270 Wby Mag- 140 gr Nosler Ballistic Tip

Sent from my SM-S903VL using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I started out on a .243(100g) and now alternate between .280(140g) and 30-06(165g), depending on how I'm feeling. I run CorLokts out of all of them and never have had any problem with them.

SPM73

Button Buck
Anyone have any favorite oddballs? I'd love to have a 257 Roberts, not that uncommon but you don't see it much anymore

250 savage is not toted all that often below the mason dixon but a great whitetail round and one of my favorites ....

pcbuckhunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Anyone have any favorite oddballs? I'd love to have a 257 Roberts, not that uncommon but you don't see it much anymore
My favorite oddball is the 7mm STW

Although I have a soft spot for my 30x8mm too AKA .300 Ashehurst

I haven't hunted with it yet, but I'm anxious to try out my .35 Whelen

My Dad has an affection for the .32 Win Special

But he's got a lot of oddball stuff.

.351 and .401 Win SL
.405 Win
.470 Nitro Express
All of which have killed whitetails

Sent from my SM-S903VL using Tapatalk

Ldsoldier

Old Mossy Horns
Y'all are gonna laugh but 00 buck my favorite I am usually taking shots 70 yards and less. And don't let anyone tell you buckshot only has a range of 25 yards I've killed deer and dropped then dead in their tracks from close to 70 yards with it no lie

The problem I have with buckshot past 50 yards isnt “not killing deer”, it’s killing deer and never knowing it. There’s a lot of deer “missed” with buck shot at 70+ yards only to die a week later with a pellet in their liver. That said, buckshot is highly effective under 50 yards. Personally I’ve never understood the purpose of slugs except in legislative nonsense that makes them necessary. If you want to use a rifle why not use a rifle? I just don’t get it.

Last edited:

broodc2

Four Pointer
100 grain Barnes TTSX out of my Montanta Rifle Co. ASR chambered in 25-06 with a 26 inch barrel. At 100 yards the hydrostatic shock drops them in their tracks without blowing a cannonball size hole out the other side.

highclimber

Old Mossy Horns
Handloaded Hornady, in my hunting firearms.

139 Gr BTSP in my A Bolt, 7 Mag, and 7-08 TC Prohunter Pistol
240 Gr XTP, in my Super Redhawk.
250Gr SST in my Encore Muzzleloader.

Big Country

Ten Pointer
In my 308 125gr Sierra prohunter

In my son's 25-06 115gr nosler ballistic tip

Trying a 6.5x55 this year 140gr burger hybrid VLD I am kind of anxious to see how they preform.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

bryguy

Old Mossy Horns
308- 155grn Lapua Scenar, 165grn nosler ballistic tip, and 168grn berger VLD in my remington 5r
150 hornady spire point and 150 nosler accubond in my tikka t3x lite.
55 grn barnes TSX in my ARs.
325 FTX in a black crush rib sabot pushed by 65grns of 4198 in my savage ML.

JLove1974

Twelve Pointer
doesn't take much to kill a deer, but I have my favorites. Even as a handloader, I use factory ammo to hunt.

165gr Federal Fusion in .30-06 I have never lost sight of a deer hit with it.

95gr Winchester PP in .243, and 95gr Fusion in .243 - same, never lost a deer hit with it

my current favorite is Nosler Accubond 150gr in .308 since I started hunting with an AR10. Moving around 2750fps. strong deer medicine out to 300yds.

JLove1974

Twelve Pointer
. Personally I’ve never understood the purpose of slugs except in legislative nonsense that makes them necessary. If you want to use a rifle why not use a rifle? I just don’t get it.

Lots of places around the country (including Wake and Mecklenburg counties) that you can't use a centerfire rifle due to 'urban density'. I'm thinking the entire state of Ohio is one. Not too far away either. For instance, Meck Park and Rec lets you use shotgun and slug to hunt deer on their lands, but I prefer a muzzleloader for distance.

ncstatehunter

Twelve Pointer
Lots of places around the country (including Wake and Mecklenburg counties) that you can't use a centerfire rifle due to 'urban density'. I'm thinking the entire state of Ohio is one. Not too far away either. For instance, Meck Park and Rec lets you use shotgun and slug to hunt deer on their lands, but I prefer a muzzleloader for distance.

Mecklenburg is no centerfire rifles at all, Wake you must be 8 feet off the ground to use a centerfire rifle while hunting.

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
In other words, pistol rounds.

There are a few like the .444 and the 45/70 that I'd rather not shoot out of a handgun, and a few handgun rounds like the various .50 calibers that make awesome rifle fodder. Even the old .44 magnum and the .357 Maximum are good deer killers out of a long barrel.
I think this is a real plus for Ohio since they are trying to reduce the deer herd in some areas.

JLove1974

Twelve Pointer
There are a few like the .444 and the 45/70 that I'd rather not shoot out of a handgun, and a few handgun rounds like the various .50 calibers that make awesome rifle fodder. Even the old .44 magnum and the .357 Maximum are good deer killers out of a long barrel.
I think this is a real plus for Ohio since they are trying to reduce the deer herd in some areas.
Yeah I know. Hunt with a M94 .44 Mag carbine. 250gr at 1700fps is good deer medicine basically same speed as the 240gr XTP i shoot with my inline ML.

.444 or .454 would be stout even in a rifle. I still think those states in the midwest that have weapon and cartridge retrictions are rediculous, and Indiana had basically banned centerfires on public land now.

Ldsoldier

Old Mossy Horns

I get that, although Wake does allow centerfire. Still makes no sense to me why someone would choose a slug over a rifle when they aren’t forced to.

zz1288064

I like a 30/30 with any flat nose bullet. And a 308 with a Hornady SST.

Sent from my LGL44VL using Tapatalk

shaggy

Old Mossy Horns
I shoot 135gr hornady SST in .270 caliber and even though I haven't hunted with it in a few years I love the 30.30 with 180gr hollow point core lokts

41magnum

Twelve Pointer
140 gr out of a 7x57
130 gr from a 6.5x55
135 or 150 gr out a .308 Win
135 gr from a 30-30
50 gr from a .222
45 gr out a .218 Bee
the last 2 I call it "a lead pill in the ear"--or maybe neck....and they drop like a rock.

Last edited:

Frostcat

Twelve Pointer
My favorite is a Remington 700 BDL in 280 that came from the factory marked 7mm-06. I shoot Hornady 162 SST.
Ruger 77 in 25-06 with 117 Sierra pro hunters.
300 Savage in a Remington 760 pump or a Savage 99.

Last edited: