Baying at a hole in the ground

wildcat3

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Made a couple of quick drops tonight. Not much doing on the first br on the second my old dog went about 130 yards and was treeing or sounded so. I started to him and noticed at times his voice sounded muffled and at other times sounded like normal. When I got in to him he was shoulder deep into a hole in the ground up under a big blown down tree. I looked best I could in the hole but couldn't get a real good look with the angle I had. My old dog sure thought something was there he was counting them out. Has anyone ever seen or heard of a coon going in a hole like this? If not any guess what it could be ?

RJ1

Ten Pointer
I agree with catfisher,a few years ago I did have some young bear hounds that got off on a small bear he went into a hole by a blown down tree but there was no doubt what it was when I got there one of them had him by the butt trying to pull him out.

wolfman

Old Mossy Horns
Went to check a corn feeder one time and raccoon was on it trying to steal what he could. Saw me and immediately shot into a hole in the ground.

surffishn

Spike
Coons will for sure go in holes.Tracked them in snow. Had a dog do same as yours once. Believe he would of dug him out in a day or so.