Jolly Roger Pier--Topsail

624c

Six Pointer
This past week the black drum have been killing it on fresh shrimp off the Jolly Roger Pier. Got a few decent spots too, all on fresh shrimp and a bunch of mullet. Nothing was touching cut bait, frozen or fresh. Saw at least 3 sharks reeled in at the end of the pier by the king fishers.

Ended up staying on the pier till 2am fishing, because I couldn't make my self stop with all the action for as long as I had any bait left. Legitimately the best time fishing anywhere I can recall in my life. Drop a hook in, and boom fighting a big ol drum. Kept 3, threw a bunch back.

Good luck!

Part-time hunter

Ten Pointer
Before I-40 was finished we always went to Topsail and I fished many years off the JR. I've been on all the piers down here in the New Hanover area and none of them have produced consistently like the JR or the old Scotch Bonnet.

BigBow

Ten Pointer
Contributor
This past Fri & Sat my buddy & I fished 16 hrs. ea. day on the Seaview Pier in N.Topsail Beach & caught two 48 qt. coolers full of Pompano, Spot, & Whiting using Flea, Shrimp, & Bloodworm flavor "Fishbites". Also used fresh shrimp & bloodworms Sat. & had just a tad more luck.

jenkinsnb

Ten Pointer
This past Fri & Sat my buddy & I fished 16 hrs. ea. day on the Seaview Pier in N.Topsail Beach & caught two 48 qt. coolers full of Pompano, Spot, & Whiting using Flea, Shrimp, & Bloodworm flavor "Fishbites". Also used fresh shrimp & bloodworms Sat. & had just a tad more luck.

What was the size of the pompano if you don't mind my asking?

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
I hope the blow toads show up in a few weeks for my trip to cape lookout. ...
those are some good eaten.

BigBow

Ten Pointer
Contributor
jenkinsnb, A few Pompano were possible citation size (2#'s I think) or just short, but the majority were all eating size. We released dozens of the smaller ones.

Last edited:

jgav

Four Pointer
Awesome! Grew up fishing the Jolly Roger.

Post some pics if either of you have them.

624c

Six Pointer
155be7434b22ccbf0000b63a99d918ac.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk