Fox squirrels are in 50 of NC's 100 counties, possibly more

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I saw my first one in Forsyth County today. Strange coloration and not nearly as large as I'm used to seeing in northern and western counties.

Wanchese

Twelve Pointer
I've only ever seen one that I know of. It was in Tyrrell County eating at a pile of corn the combine spilled in the road on the edge of planted pines. Black with white tips on it's ears and a lot bigger than our regular squirrels. Prior to that, I didn't think there were any in this part of the state and highly doubt there are very many more in that area.

JD1107

I saw seven Wednesday in Pitt County. Treed one but never could get a clear shot on it.

Mack in N.C.

Old Mossy Horns
I didn't get to see the underbelly of this one..but his coloration was very similar. More like a boomer than a fox squirrel, except he had black feet and a black mask. His ears even had the little tufts like a boomer, but he was a shade bigger than a grey squirrel.

There are some fox squirrels in Forsyth and yadkin counties. They should be more reddish than the ones down east.

old dog

Spike
Just started on grays this year and been having good success at Jordan. I'd like to try for fox squirrels. Anybody have advice on Sandhills game lands regarding them? I've found squirrel hunting so enjoyable I may just put off my goal of a first deer this year. Are there any others that stick just to squirrels? Those are some beautiful creatures in those photos. Congratulations.

stilker

Old Mossy Horns
The majority of the ones I've seen here over the years(upper Moore) are mostly gray with reddish face and black tails and forehead.

Last edited:

HotSoup

Old Mossy Horns
I saw one in the uwharries eating on the side of the road between troy and Albemarle on Saturday

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Could he (legally) just charge a trespass fee and point them in the right direction?

<>< Fish
I am not an attorney, probably could lease by the day. I am guessing if he went along it would get sticky though.

Last edited:

Wanchese

Twelve Pointer
Could he (legally) just charge a trespass fee and point them in the right direction?

<>< Fish
A guide license is only $15 and there are no testing requirements to get one in NC, unlike a lot of other states where you have to take a course.

Last edited:

Boojum

Ten Pointer
Do any of the counties in the mountains WNC have fox Squirrels? I have never saw one in Haywood.

Me either, but I have talked to old folks who said there used to be a colony down around Walnut Bottoms on Big Creek, a few in the Hemphill area, and I have heard of them being seen back decades ago in Cataloochee.

Game On

Four Pointer
Im offering guided fox squirrel hunts on my lease in Edgecombe Co. $150.....LOL

I live in Edgecombe and have a couple of fair dogs. Let me know sometime if you would like to get after them. I have killed more than my fair share, you can do all the shooting!!!!

jug

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Just started on grays this year and been having good success at Jordan. I'd like to try for fox squirrels. Anybody have advice on Sandhills game lands regarding them? I've found squirrel hunting so enjoyable I may just put off my goal of a first deer this year. Are there any others that stick just to squirrels? Those are some beautiful creatures in those photos. Congratulations.
The fox squirrels are all over the Sandhills game land in Scotland county. Find some big longleaf pine trees where there is a few turkey oaks or any oaks nearby. Just set down and wait and let the woods get still and quiet. Those squirrels are HUGE down there and have the best colorations. I just enjoy seeing them. I saw 2 real pretty ones this Saturday while hunting with the dog club. One had a solid white face, pink nose and brown tail with a charcoal body. I was hoping to get a pic but he never came close enough. I see a lot of tri colored ones and solid charcoal ones.

Last edited: