Coyote Trapping

Banjo

Old Mossy Horns
We have a coyote problem. I want to get into trapping them. I cannot attend the trapping seminar that is coming up, so I am looking for advice.

1. What is the best trap to use?
2. What is the best set up?
3. Bait?
4. Cover scent?

And any other advice that I left off.

Thanks

lasttombstone

Kinder, Gentler LTS
I you can head down to Smithfield Friday or Saturday for $5 you can get hands-on advise from some of the best in the state plus a great meal.

Banjo

Old Mossy Horns
I you can head down to Smithfield Friday or Saturday for $5 you can get hands-on advise from some of the best in the state plus a great meal.

I wish I could attend. I work in Kernersville and usually don't get home until around 6:00, so Friday is out. Saturday, I have got to go to the property to do some much needed work before I start hunting.

lasttombstone

Kinder, Gentler LTS
Wish I could help but I'm no good at it. Only caught one but. Still some great folks here who can get it done if they chime in but it certainly isn't a simple thing. Those critters are slick.

Banjo

Old Mossy Horns
Wish I could help but I'm no good at it. Only caught one but. Still some great folks here who can get it done if they chime in but it certainly isn't a simple thing. Those critters are slick.

I know that Larry is an avid coyote slayer, but I think he hunts at night and I can't swing that. Lol. I have heard that the are very smart and if your set is not spot on, they'll pass it on by.

lasttombstone

Kinder, Gentler LTS
The one that I did catch was around a large bait pile, like a whole deer, with multiple traps round the deer. I knew they were coming to it and guess I just got lucky.

QuietButDeadly

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Banjo, if you are serious about catching coyotes, you need to get your priorities straight. The convention Lasttombstone is talking about only happens once a year and is one heck of an opportunity to learn the answers to your questions and things you have not even thought about yet. Short of being in the hospital, I do not miss the NCTA Convention and several others each year. I was just like you not that many years ago and got a huge jump start at my first convention. Have not missed one since and am still learning.

Your questions seem simple but the answers are anything but simple. Being a successful coyote trapper requires a lot of learning (it never stops), hard work and commitment. You are not that far from me and I am willing to share what I have learned. Whole lot easier to show and tell than type.

Banjo

Old Mossy Horns
Banjo, if you are serious about catching coyotes, you need to get your priorities straight. The convention Lasttombstone is talking about only happens once a year and is one heck of an opportunity to learn the answers to your questions and things you have not even thought about yet. Short of being in the hospital, I do not miss the NCTA Convention and several others each year. I was just like you not that many years ago and got a huge jump start at my first convention. Have not missed one since and am still learning.

Your questions seem simple but the answers are anything but simple. Being a successful coyote trapper requires a lot of learning (it never stops), hard work and commitment. You are not that far from me and I am willing to share what I have learned. Whole lot easier to show and tell than type.

Thank you. I may see if I can go to the property on Sunday instead of Saturday. That way I could attend the convention.

lasttombstone

Kinder, Gentler LTS
^ If you really want to learn, you won't regret it. And mentoring offers like that from QBD don't happen very often. Don't pass that up.

QuietButDeadly

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Banjo, if you make it to Smithfield, ask around for QBD. Someone will point me out.

I am heading down in a few minutes to to get set up for the vendors to move in tomorrow.

Last edited:

odie408

Ten Pointer
You will find what you are looking for at this event. Make sure you are there at 9 am and 5 pm for the coyote trap demo. Good tips from the pros. I'm planning to go if it works out.

RPD689

Spike
If you make it to the convention, stop by my table. I will be between Paul Dobbins and E.J. Barbour. Just ask where The Old Goat is.

I have an extra chair and I welcome you to sit awhile. We can discuss equipment, baits and lures, locations, sets and the most important element of coyote trapping- the coyote and his behaviors. Two friends who are very good coyote trappers will be doing a coyote trapping demo. They will be there with me to help you also.

Beginning Sunday, I will be coyote trapping daily for five months except for a short break around Christmas to rework equipment and prepare for two months in the eastern part of the state. You are welcome to ride along any time that you wish. I am based in eastern Wake County but I trap several counties. I have not had any complaints so far from ride alongs. I manage to catch a few dumb ones at my advanced age.

Feel free to call me anytime if I can help.

Jimmy

919-801-2562

Banjo

Old Mossy Horns
If you make it to the convention, stop by my table. I will be between Paul Dobbins and E.J. Barbour. Just ask where The Old Goat is.

I have an extra chair and I welcome you to sit awhile. We can discuss equipment, baits and lures, locations, sets and the most important element of coyote trapping- the coyote and his behaviors. Two friends who are very good coyote trappers will be doing a coyote trapping demo. They will be there with me to help you also.

Beginning Sunday, I will be coyote trapping daily for five months except for a short break around Christmas to rework equipment and prepare for two months in the eastern part of the state. You are welcome to ride along any time that you wish. I am based in eastern Wake County but I trap several counties. I have not had any complaints so far from ride alongs. I manage to catch a few dumb ones at my advanced age.

Feel free to call me anytime if I can help.

Jimmy

919-801-2562

Thank you Jimmy. I hope to meet you on Saturday.

mattharris0414

How are you going to be trapping starting sunday? I thought the first trapping seasons come in November? Am i wrong? I have a coyote problem in Rockingham county and want to get started as soon as possible. When can i start here? I have searcged and searched for an answer on the dates and all i find is the fox seasons..

RPD689

Spike
Coyotes can be trapped in a county that has a local law fox season outside the established opener. Franklin County fox trapping season opens on 10-1.

Rockingham County:

There is an open season for taking foxes by trapping from November 1 through February 28 of each year. It goes on to state that traps must be set in accordance with State law and that no limit or tagging requirements apply. No help to you as this season follows the regular trapping season. This is condensed from the County Fox Harvest Seasons publication. As always, you should consult with the officer in your area on questions of trapping law. He is the fellow with the citation pad.

You can keep them unlike Wake County where I am required to release all fox.

odie408

Ten Pointer
Banjo, I think you are headed in the right direction now to get the info you seek. I love to see new trappers. May your chains be tight.