Turnip or radish seed

SamCo89

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Anyone know a seed store in eastern nc that actually carries turnip or radish seed? Cps will order it, most of the local seed & hardware stores only carry the small packets or 1lb bags. Wondering if Its simpler to just buy a premix brassica blend. I’m looking 5-10lbs to plant this weekend with my rye & oats.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
If you are looking for pure seed, it's cheaper to order from Amazon....if you're looking for a mix, the Whitetail institute blend has a decent % of radish, turnip, rape and clover for the money and can be found at Walmart's and some sporting goods stores. I get good germination from their winter greens mixes if you only need 5 pounds or so to mix with your grain seeds.
Local Southern States have purple top seeds at a decent price, and crimson still has time to germinate....radish seeds can be difficult to find in some places.

bryguy

Old Mossy Horns
How far are you willing to drive? PL Woodard in wilson has some I know. But is it worth driving from Erwin to wilson for 5lbs of seed?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bean

Eight Pointer
I order from Hancock Seed a lot they have fair prices on MOST things and ship quickly

SamCo89

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
How far are you willing to drive? PL Woodard in wilson has some I know. But is it worth driving from Erwin to wilson for 5lbs of seed?

Yeah exactly. I think would buy a BOB mix 1st..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Down near wilmington is burgaw milling. Great service, family run. Get all my seed from them. 2 or 3 dollars a lb for turnip and radish.

Careful with the turnips, they can shade out your others plants and easy to go too heavy on the seeding. Radish is a bigger seed (fewer seeds per lb) and less of an issue. Very little browse on my turnips, a little more on my radish in Pender county last year.

SamCo89

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I order from Hancock Seed a lot they have fair prices on MOST things and ship quickly

This is what I did.. They have their Deer Greens mix on sale in 5,10 & 25lb options with free shipping.10lb bag was $39 & thats turnips,daikon radish,kale & rape.If these don't work out,oh well..

B-KayCh

Six Pointer
Big Blue in Clinton has a Pennington mix I got. 5# bag had greens and clover. Also just down from there is Sharpe and Davis nursery . Janet makes a salad mix I've gotten before too.

Pennington Rackmaster Refuge.

Last edited:

darkthirty

Old Mossy Horns
I really like hancocks. Great customer service. I ordered 10lbs of dwarf milo from them back in the spring. They called me about two days later and told me they'd accidentally sent me 10lbs of rape seed. I told'em to email me a package label and I'd be happy to send it back. They said "no sir, our mistake it's yours free and clear." 10 lbs of rape seed is a $h!tload of seed!!!! The guy at hancocks asked if I deer hunted. I told him I did and he said "now you got heck of a deer plot!"

I'll use them now for most of my small seed orders because most is free shipping and the fact that they were extremely polite and curteous! That goes a long ways in my book!!

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I've ordered from Hancock's in the past, but the shipping ate me up.

Now I get everything in 50 lb. bags from CPS except for the perennial clover. If I have some left over, I use it the next year.

jug

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Planted a half acre of purple top turnips here in Harnett this evening. Planted my turnips up at the Rock a month ago.

Winnie 70

Ten Pointer
Wombles in Lillington has seed in containers that they weigh out amount you want...back of store near the office. Ask for Ray..he will help you. Been buying my seed there every year in spring garden time and they are always in stock of most all seeds.