Licensing Question

ncbow

Button Buck
My wife would like to accompany me hunting, but has no interest in actually hunting. She just wants to enjoy the outdoors and spend some time with me. Does she still need hunting license and tags, only hunting license or what exactly? I'm assuming accompanying a hunter requires something. She has no interest in taking hunter education because she doesn't want to hunt but it would be nice if she could come
along. Anyone have any guidance? Thanks.

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
She can go with nothing.
My wife would go with me from time to time. I would drop her at a stand and go to mine.
Some times she would sit in my box with me.
Good to have HO on at all times for safety incase she needs to get down, head out or do anything.
If she does anything that could be (help) she is hunting.

They can not do anything to aid or help with the hunt.
Can not touch gun, carry it, drive the ATV, help load or drag even recover deer.

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
My info came from NCWRC raleigh, enforcement section and also talking to local warden.
This was a few years back but could not locate anything to show of any changes.

aya28ga

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Mr. Gadgets advice to you is correct.

We had this question last year concerning my wife. She doesn't hunt but she does participate in blood tracking and recovering deer with a dog. We hadn't really thought about the fact she might need a hunting license to do this, but after picking some folks brains here on the Forum we went ahead and had her do the hunter education course and now she gets a license.

Your wife should be fine without a license if she just observes.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Last edited:

bowhnter88

Six Pointer
you can also do an apprentice license and tags without them having to take the hunter safety course, then if she did decide she wanted to shoot one she would be good. As long as a licensed hunter is within sight of her then she is legal. That's what I do for my wife. I think it's like 22 dollars or something like that.

Homebrewale

Old Mossy Horns
Your wife should be fine without a license if she just observes.

Isn't there a little gray area there? What if she notices a deer off in the distance on her side of the stand before you do? If she says "sit still, a deer is moving this way", is she participating in the hunt?

Jack's PA

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Isn't there a little gray area there? What if she notices a deer off in the distance on her side of the stand before you do? If she says "sit still, a deer is moving this way", is she participating in the hunt?

Yes that is participating. So technically she would need a license. However, how would the GW know she pointed out the deer for you.

aya28ga

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Sure you could call it a gray area.

I'd call it some very fine hair splitting.

And I can't imagine a game warden attempting to make much of a case based on that.

But if he sees her handling a gun touching a gun or touching a deer in anyway then there's a problem.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
you can also do an apprentice license and tags without them having to take the hunter safety course, then if she did decide she wanted to shoot one she would be good. As long as a licensed hunter is within sight of her then she is legal. That's what I do for my wife. I think it's like 22 dollars or something like that.

If you do that then every year you better have a license after that.
if not when they check her for a HL and she said no Im not hunting, he may come back with you had a hunting license for the last 3 years now you want to watch deer sitting in the same area with him hunting.

Game warden always ask for fishing license on my wife,.then checks to see if she ever had one before he gives her a pass... bet it is the same for hunting.

Mine carries her phone, book and camcorder.
No reason to have a HL.

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns

Not one little bit...

that was why I said no aid or help.....

Cut and dry no gray area at all.

Aid and help is hunting, no aid no help they are just a person in the woods.