boondoggle in planning,,,,,

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
well,,,down here working, planning etc

in my spare time I'm planning a small game boondoggle,,,,looked at all kinds of locations trying to figure out where and when,,,,and for what game,,,

after MUCH research I have decided to head to the great state of Michigan,,,the eastern UP to be exact,,,,,,,has a great mix of what I am looking for and their partidge numbers are on the upswing really nice,,,,

looks like I'll take all the dogs,,,,they'd be pen bound if I left them and I figured the pup is young and will likely only last 1/2 a day,,,,and may get into some light duck action so the old lab Brandy will get some work,,,,and taking them two beagles (8 and 10 years old) in case I find some good snowshoe rabbit areas,,,,,,

may be too much,,,,maybe not,,,,,I'll report back when I get back,,,,,haven't set a fixed date yet but expect I'll be back home in 10 days or so and will leave a week later,,,,,,,

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
That is where we used to go to squirrel hunt. Pretty good numbers of grouse in the transition zones right where the lowground used to meet the upland.

Be warned, that is porky country. If your dogs get around them you are in for trouble. If you have a good relationship with your vet they will know what to give you that a dose of 1/10 ML per 10# of BW renders them completely out of it but still conscious. They will be back and in running order the next day, or I forgot, take a bottle of Tylan LA 50 for infection. Give them a preventative shot after pulling all the quills. The vets up there have no mercy on out of staters and will hit you for about $400. a pop to remove them.

BTW Michigan is a "right to retrieve" state. If your dog does get on private property you can go get them. But you can not carry a weapon of any kind.

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
thanks nccatfisher,,,,,,,,,,already have my "porky quill" extraction plan,,,,,,,,,,,

adn they eat good too,,,,,,,,,,,,,

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
thanks nccatfisher,,,,,,,,,,already have my "porky quill" extraction plan,,,,,,,,,,,

adn they eat good too,,,,,,,,,,,,,
No doubt you will pickle them. I tried one of those delicious bastids in Wyoming, taste like chewing on a fresh spruce/fir tree. No thanks, buzzards and worms gotta have something to eat.

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
No doubt you will pickle them. I tried one of those delicious bastids in Wyoming, taste like chewing on a fresh spruce/fir tree. No thanks, buzzards and worms gotta have something to eat.

you have pickle on the mind,,,,get them shad off your mind,,,,,,,,

porkies are for stews,,,,,,,made one and everyone thought it was venison,,,,,,,,but then I shot him out of a maple tree,,,,,,,,,,,,

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
you have pickle on the mind,,,,get them shad off your mind,,,,,,,,

porkies are for stews,,,,,,,made one and everyone thought it was venison,,,,,,,,but then I shot him out of a maple tree,,,,,,,,,,,,
Up there it seems like they like the beech flats the best, you can count on the hollow beech trees being dens. The crap will be piled at the bottom like pinto beans. You can smell them yards before you get to it.

Moose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
Sounds like a good trip..... I know how good partridge is and snowshoes..... Never tried porky stew..... Sounds like gtg menu is coming together nicely ;)

JONOV

Old Mossy Horns
BTW Michigan is a "right to retrieve" state. If your dog does get on private property you can go get them. But you can not carry a weapon of any kind.

There's enough public land in the UP that you shouldn't have anything to worry about.

I went for a long walk in the Menominee County grouse woods this summer. Longer than I planned, as I have a horrible sense of direction, but saw three in the midday heat in a short walk.

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
There's enough public land in the UP that you shouldn't have anything to worry about.

I went for a long walk in the Menominee County grouse woods this summer. Longer than I planned, as I have a horrible sense of direction, but saw three in the midday heat in a short walk.
There is private (small tracts) interspersed all out in that public land. You will be miles from where you will think will be anything on those two tracks and all of a sudden you will come up on an old camp or a camper plastered with posted signs. You get the map out and sure enough there will be a little dot of private there. And FYI trespassing up there carries $550 on the spot fine/bond.

I talked to a couple of the wardens up there when we were hunting and it is like SC if you are out of state you pay up front or become a resident of their facilities. They were super nice, helped put us on some good spots though.

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
There is private (small tracts) interspersed all out in that public land. You will be miles from where you will think will be anything on those two tracks and all of a sudden you will come up on an old camp or a camper plastered with posted signs. You get the map out and sure enough there will be a little dot of private there. And FYI trespassing up there carries $550 on the spot fine/bond. .

northern Wisconsin where I grew up was the same way,,,,old deer camps that have passed down for generations from before the land became public,,,,,

I'm planning on calling the regional folks here this week - likely tomorrow (today was a bust for personal stiff till now) - have a question or three on a couple of things, well actually just want them to know my name,,,

likely won't kill a dang thing, but we will have fun exploring and settting up for next year

thanks all for the assistance

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
It is pretty country, we really enjoyed it. Had it not been for those aggravating porkies we most likely would still be going up there the last week in Oct. every year.

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
I'll probably end up regretting it but we will see,,,,,,,,,,(reference the porkies),,,,,

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I'll probably end up regretting it but we will see,,,,,,,,,,(reference the porkies),,,,,
My understanding from some guys I have met online that live up there are they are cyclic also and we hit a primo time. They said they haven't been as bad lately. I have numerous standing offers from to to come up and stay with a couple or three. I don't travel near as well as I once did and that far solo isn't enticing as it once was. The group of us that used to go up a couple have died and one has quit dogs so pretty much fallen apart. Guess I will leave Mi. to the more adventurous. Plus I am more of a coon hunter now, but southern Mi is a coon hunters paradise.