Looking FOR powder recommendations

Natebonebusta

Eight Pointer
I’m wanting to load some Sierra 1395 65gr gamekings for my AR. These will be for whitetail, with my daughter in mind as the shooter. I’ve got benchmark and h335 currently. Curious if I need to consider another powder or can I get MOA out of the powders I have with a 16” 1&7 twist barrel?

Also how much if any do I crimp? I’m use to loading for a bolt action with no crimp, but I do have the lee crimp die.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LanceR

Six Pointer
Contributor
Varget is a great choice for heavy for caliber bullets in .223....

It does seem close to rifle season to be starting to work up a load, especially as she'll benefit from a fair bit of practice. You could do a lot worse that to order some of either the Federal 60 grain Partition load or any of the Barnes TSX .223 or 5.56 loads. I've had very good success with 62 and 70 grain TSX reloads. All have been clean pass through shots with quickly recovered deer. The all copper bullets like the Barnes or the gilding metal bullets are longer for a given weight than lead core bullets and need a faster twist to stabilize them. Unless you have a really fast twist barrel I'd stick to the 62 grain TSX if you go that route.

Lance

Lee

Six Pointer
Nate,
Check out the Sierra recommended load at this website. https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=http://accurateshooter.net/Downloads/sierra223ar.pdf&ved=0ahUKEwjj97DEwdrWAhWJ14MKHc1cB-0QFgglMAA&usg=AOvVaw0ewAFy0QVDzkj9RAWDK5Lw

It shows H335 as the accurate load with a 63 grain bullet

Last edited:

Natebonebusta

Eight Pointer
My original intent with this thread was to find a powder my Howa 1500 would like, and I started my original tests back in March of 2016 with H335. I don't often get to a spot where I have 100 yards to shoot, but I was recently able to try a new to me Tikka T3x in .223 with loads I developed after testing my Howa. The Howa has potential, but the Tikka I believe lives up to the MOA out of the box guarantee. These groups were fired with the Sierra 1365 55gr bullet over various charges of Hodgdon Benchmark. You can see the clear winner is 24.5 grains. I'm very pleased with the way Benchmark meters, and I recently found it at the gunshow for $20/lb!! Should have bought more than 2lbs. Anyhow thanks for the suggestions.

21461f7152c976cc5e9c4ade80d1778c.jpg

bryguy

Old Mossy Horns
I like varget and cfe223 for 223 or 5.56. I tried a few others and was not impressed with anything but these two powders in the gins I tried

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Benny

Button Buck
You might want to try 24.5 gr IMR4895 and 68 or 69 gr match hollow point. My Grandson has shot this in AR for 6 years and it's death on deer out to 200yds when put bullet in right place. Shoots good groups out of heavy barrel and reg. 16".