Rust problem

lasttombstone

Kinder, Gentler LTS
A friend has a Tarus 357 snubby as a carry gun in a matte finish. He is constantly complaining about surface rust forming on the carry side and even under the grips. The question is, ha anyone experienced this problem before with their carry weapon and are there any suggestions on how to cure the problem. I told he needs to wear a tee shirt or something to keep hi body away from the weapon. He has tried all kinds of different gun oils, ect. and nothing seems to keep the rust away.

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
A friend has a Tarus 357 snubby as a carry gun in a matte finish. He is constantly complaining about surface rust forming on the carry side and even under the grips. The question is, ha anyone experienced this problem before with their carry weapon and are there any suggestions on how to cure the problem. I told he needs to wear a tee shirt or something to keep hi body away from the weapon. He has tried all kinds of different gun oils, ect. and nothing seems to keep the rust away.
Have it parkerized, that would be the best thing to do.

FishHunt

Old Mossy Horns
The two best products that I have found are Breakfree CLP and CorrosionX for Guns with the CorrosionX being the best.

<>< Fish

41magfan

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Some folks have a chemical composition in their sweat that abnormally wreaks havoc on corrosive metals. Short of getting the gun plated or covered with some applied finish like Cerakote, there are a couple of things that work reasonably well but they have to be maintained.

The first one is a product called EEZOX. Applied to clean metal (with a light coat remaining), it's the best short-term rust inhibitor I've ever used on firearms. (* I don't care for EEZOX as a lubricant, but that's another topic.)

The second fix is the application of a wax barrier. Specialized waxes like Renaissance Wax or more common products like Johnson's Paste Wax provide a physical barrier between sweat and the gun. It's simple to do: clean the metal, apply a few coats and polish to a shine ..... just like waxing a car.

Anything used as a chemical or physical barrier will obviously wear off, so a few minutes of re-application must be done from time to time to maintain protection. It works surprisingly well.

Colekira

Ten Pointer
Contributor
He can go to Wal-Mart and buy a bottle of mineral oil for $1.98 and lightly coat the gun. I use mineral oil to protect all my carbon knives from rust. Mineral oil has many great uses and its cheap!

JJWise

Twelve Pointer
My carry revolver is blued, CLP on the outside has worked for me for keeping rust off temporarily, it just has to be reapplied occasionally. My uncle also recommended the Johnstons Wax but I haven't personally tried it.

lasttombstone

Kinder, Gentler LTS
41Magfan........ my buddy wanted me to say thanks for him. He got some of the EEZOX and it seems to have taken care of his problem. Thank you for the hep.

41magfan

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
41Magfan........ my buddy wanted me to say thanks for him. He got some of the EEZOX and it seems to have taken care of his problem. Thank you for the hep.

Hey, I'm glad it's working for him.

I've spent a LOT of time and money working my way through a number of learning curves related to firearms and their applications, so I'm glad when some of my experiences have the potential to be useful to someone else.

Last edited: