Every year

Wildlifer

Old Mossy Horns
Every bow season some jack :donk just can't wait to break out the muzzleloader or rifle. It's happened twice now! Nothing burns me up more than an ignorant poacher.

Wildlifer

Old Mossy Horns
Figured that would be the response. Gamelands on one side of me so that would also be illegal. Somewhat residential on the other so yes it's plausible. Do you typically sight your gun in with one shot right at dusk?

TravisLH

Old Mossy Horns
Figured that would be the response. Gamelands on one side of me so that would also be illegal. Somewhat residential on the other so yes it's plausible. Do you typically sight your gun in with one shot right at dusk?

I see it too, must just be confirming that low light zero

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

btsharky

Twelve Pointer

Nope but I was just throwing a possibility out there.

ladeer

Six Pointer
Every bow season some jack :donk just can't wait to break out the muzzleloader or rifle. It's happened twice now! Nothing burns me up more than an ignorant poacher.
Maybe they are hunting with a kid. It is youth day and they can use a rifle.

Last edited:

DRS

Old Mossy Horns

Maybe someone was taking a youth today and needed to confirm zero with their rifle, after they got home after work yesterday. It is also legal to hunt coyotes and some other animals with firearms, year around.

Last edited:

Wanchese

Twelve Pointer
There's no deer to be hunted here, seriously, zero deer on this part of the island and it's not uncommon to hear a single gunshot in the evening.

Wildlifer

Old Mossy Horns
Yea I know the possibilities. It was Friday the day before youth day. Not many coyotes around me. I'm surrounded by game lands on 3 sides so sighting in a rifle wouldn't be legal either. The other side of me is large residential lots with little room to target shoot. Trust me I know all the possibilities of what it could be but more signs point to a poacher than not. It wouldn't be the first time either.

stormm4

Big Ole Nanny Doe
My neighbors decided they want to shoot handguns morning and evenings on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday.

Firedog

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I am not one to assume poaching or any other illegal activity based only on me hearing something in the absence of other evidence. If it was on GL, they should not have been shooting at all but that does not mean they were poaching, maybe they were but don't you think you are jumping to that conclusion a little quick?

Wildlifer

Old Mossy Horns
Potentially but I am not basing my assumptions just on hearing a shot. The shot could have been nothing and well within the law. I've hunted this spot for a long time and I know that some shots were infact from either poachers and or trespassers. Therefore when I hear suspicious shots based on the number or lack of, time of day, and season I can't help but think it's another poacher or trespasser.

sjoz

Four Pointer
There's no deer to be hunted here, seriously, zero deer on this part of the island and it's not uncommon to hear a single gunshot in the evening.

There are a few deer on the island, just not many. I had one run out in front of me by the radio tower last year.

Wanchese

Twelve Pointer
There are a few deer on the island, just not many. I had one run out in front of me by the radio tower last year.

That is why I included "this part"................ they're not around the houses in the area I hear shooting.

There's definitely deer on the island. I know where there's a rub line that has been hit for three or four years.

One buck that was living in the pines at the Coastal Studies place got hit by a car this summer. He was laying right by the entrance for a couple of days. Hadn't started growing his horns yet when he got hit but the last time I saw him alive, he was a eight about 15 inches wide.

dlbaile

Ten Pointer
Are you reporting it to the gw, just talking about it is not going to make it stop or get the poachers caught if that is in fact what hey are doing, but with you on the fact it sure does sound suspicious.

Wildlifer

Old Mossy Horns
I have and still do. This particular instance was hard to pinpoint and provide more information than I gunshot in that direction. In the past I have successfully called in people.

Buckshot1

Twelve Pointer
may have been a youth hunter getting another practice round in after dad gets home from work, its actually very possible, just me being optimistic, I like to try and find the good in people rather than make myself assume the worst. I have a range on my place and I shoot whenever I have time and whenever I feel like it.

Greg

Old Mossy Horns
Not disputing in any way what you're saying, Wildlifer. I have suffered poachers on and off for years and thank God our local GW is a good 'un.

Just a possibility here for every one to consider ... it IS legal to use a firearm to dispatch legally shot game.

brownisdown

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I was one of those last light muzzleloader sight in shooters last night.........will be again tonight........but I don't doubt your right either