Carl F Overman custom fishing rod

ScottyB

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I was digging through my saltwater gear ,which rarely gets used, and found this rod I have never used....it says it was custom made by Mr Overman who was from Elizabeth City. He died in 2006 at about 87 years old.

The rod is pretty heavy with a lure weight from 4 oz to 12 oz

Just wondered if any of you may have known him or have any of his rods.

Gus

Six Pointer
My buddy knew him and has several of his rods. His work was highly thought of and much in demand. In his later years he would only make rods for friends. There was a time when most all the serious surf fishermen around here had one of his rods.
Nice find.

ScottyB

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
My buddy knew him and has several of his rods. His work was highly thought of and much in demand. In his later years he would only make rods for friends. There was a time when most all the serious surf fishermen around here had one of his rods.
Nice find.

Sending you a PM

witler

Eight Pointer
Probably not worth much, I will take it off your hands for postage...only kidding. Sounds like a mantel piece or wall mount in man cave.

stiab

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Yes, I knew him, and his son. He built rods in a building behind his house. I have one of his rods, it's a 10' spinning rod beautifully wound. I think it dates to 1975. If we could have a fish fry with all it has caught, everybody signed on to NCH&F could attend and have plenty to eat.

bigo

Button Buck
Yes, I knew him, and his son. He built rods in a building behind his house. I have one of his rods, it's a 10' spinning rod beautifully wound. I think it dates to 1975. If we could have a fish fry with all it has caught, everybody signed on to NCH&F could attend and have plenty to eat.
Dad build rods for over 40 years. He started because he could not find one to suit him. ( He was a fisherman first) He made anything from ultra light, fly, trout, heaver to offshore deep sea rods.
Every one turned by hand and thread only.
He would only use the best components he could buy, and he enjoyed making and using them.