Mast crop report?

Chestnuthunter

Button Buck
I haven't been able to conduct my normal pre-season scouting this year and I am wondering if anyone has a mast crop report for either buncombe or Chatham counties?

stilker

Old Mossy Horns
I'm not far from Chatham in Moore and there's a decent crop of acorns here,not as heavy as last year by far.

ScottyB

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
It's not raining acorns in Chatham , but it is a steady sprinkle at this point....doesn't seem to be as heavy as last year to me

appmtnhntr

Twelve Pointer
Last two weeks I've hunted two different mountains. Both were around the same elevations.

Generally, decent mast down low on each, and lots on the tops, with a big void in between.

Red Oaks are starting to drop, and hickory nuts are raining. The 4 deer I saw on Saturday all came into 15 yards cracking fresh hickory nuts, didn't notice them eating and red oaks yet.

Mountains around Buncombe should hold pretty close to that. I was only hunting about 30 miles from Asheville last week.

Definitely not the crazy amount already coming off like last year. Good luck!

Chestnuthunter

Button Buck
Sounds like good news. Always harder when there is a number crop and the deer can hide in the laurel and ivy thickets here in the mountains. Thanks for all the replies. Now to go and check if the deer agree with me!

stiab

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Bumper acorn crop in Vance now, forest floor is covered, falling faster than the deer can eat them. Have not seen a squirrel at my birdfeeders in weeks.

hunthard2

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Bumper acorn crop in Vance now, forest floor is covered, falling faster than the deer can eat them. Have not seen a squirrel at my birdfeeders in weeks.

That's funny, I'm hunting Vance this year and up until yesterday hadn't heard the first acorns fall.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
That's funny, I'm hunting Vance this year and up until yesterday hadn't heard the first acorns fall.

i can top that.

trees covered up in my yard with big acorns waiting to fall. go in woods and even with binocs and cant find anything close to the yard trees. all about location i guess.

UncleFester

Old Mossy Horns
Trees here in Rutherford County/Ellenboro on my property are loaded and dropping like crazy. The ground is covered. I haven't went to check my other properties to see what they look like.

TravisLH

Old Mossy Horns
Haven't seen an acorn in Kittrell, few on the trees but haven't heard or seen any on the ground

Dolfan21

Ten Pointer
I know its not the counties requested, but I was hunting the uwharries opening weekend ( capel tract) and it seemed to be varying and random. and one tree was full of them, then a few others had zero literally a hundred yards away. The trees that were dropping steadily were not producing at last years rate but was still healthy. Same seems to be true for the oaks on my property in the outskirts of Mecklenburg county....some dropping pretty good, some none at all.

I will be near high rock lake tomorrow and saturday and will let others know what I see there. I was there the week before opening day and didnt see any acorns at all, not even on the trees but didnt have the binos to check the top of the trees.

Dolfan21

Ten Pointer
i can top that.

trees covered up in my yard with big acorns waiting to fall. go in woods and even with binocs and cant find anything close to the yard trees. all about location i guess.

I am seeing the same thing.....varying greatly from tree to tree, even those close together.

Edges here in caswell seem to have a good bit of decent size acorns , inside the woods there are alot less but there is some and falling but they are little in size ...deer have really backed off the corn so I know they hitting what's on the ground pretty good right now

bryguy

Old Mossy Horns
What UF and Dolfan and jug are saying is about as ideal as you can get fro hunting. Get out and find the trees the deer are hitting and you should be wrapped up in them. Some of the best hunts I have ever had down in Roanoke river were with a spotty acorn crop.

nekkedducker

Ten Pointer
We have a few saw tooth oaks planted on campus and they have been dropping like crazy for a few weeks. The red and white oaks are sporty at best. This is Harnett county.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk