Beaufort, NC - Sheep herding

thelivecanary

Eight Pointer
Finally got the boat out to the coast for some sheephead fishing. I've caught them off the pier but never got after em' in a boat. Wow. What tricky little bass turds these things can be. Day one we went through 48 crabs and boated two fish, had plenty on but only brought two over the rails. You could say I was out of practice, which would be accurate...as I zeroed. That said, day two I got in the groove and went 3 for 4. I got tight on four nice sheep and landed three of them. I'd call that success. This might be my favorite fish to chase, elusive, tricky, and powerful; the full test of an anglers ability. It takes a deft hand to feel them bite and then BOOM! dynamite, you're lashed to a train of horses...it's too much fun. See photos attached. I love these fish and they taste as good as they fight.

IMG_20170917_184602_01.jpg

Last edited:

Firefly

Old Mossy Horns
Bait stealer for sure is the Sheepshead, good eating as you said lots of fun and a good fight when hooked..

nchunt101

Ten Pointer
They are a lot of fun but one of the more frustrating fish to target. I suck at hooking them. One of my favorite fish on the grill.

thelivecanary

Eight Pointer
They are a lot of fun but one of the more frustrating fish to target. I suck at hooking them. One of my favorite fish on the grill.

I certainly learned a lot about the hook set, and found out that hook size and shape has a great deal to do with proper hook placement so you can get into the corner of their mouth on the hook set. Also, you gotta get tight before you try and rip a whole in the clouds with your rod. HOOK SET....zing. Definitely one of the more 'game' fish in the tidal areas.

BigFish4x4

Six Pointer
Try sea urchins for bait, it helps eliminate the bait stealers but takes patience and that is something I am working on still. I have caught pinfish, black bass, hog fish with fiddler crabs and sometimes think other fish eat the crabs before a sheephead has a chance to.

thelivecanary

Eight Pointer
Try sea urchins for bait, it helps eliminate the bait stealers but takes patience and that is something I am working on still. I have caught pinfish, black bass, hog fish with fiddler crabs and sometimes think other fish eat the crabs before a sheephead has a chance to.

I've heard of using urchins, but they were $2 more per dozen, and I found it easier to catch the little fiddlers, which made them nearly free. I guess I wouldn't say free because I'm still nursing the oyster shell cuts from leaning on a bar trying to coral the crabs. I need to make a good trap for those crabs and a pair of beater boots, nearly lost a shoe in the mud. Nothing better than coastal fishing.

LawDog

Ten Pointer
We love to fish for them...my boys are really good and normally out fish me 3 to 1. I have yet to catch a citation fish...close at 7 1/2 pounds, but no cigar. One of the best eating fish out there.

aaronmdln1

Six Pointer
I love them goatface fish.. Probably the most crafty hardest fish to catch in NC waters. I caught my personal best this year at 9lb 1oz. He about broke my arms when i set the hook in him. I like using a #1 or 1/0 as it usually means a good fish when i hook up.
4fa1734d855d6e59da50a68ee5aeb48e.jpg
b498af835658d6149be2f5005d4a0004.jpg

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

2boyz

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
There is a dedicated group of sheepshead fishermen that fish at night. They fish the same places as day fishermen with the benefit of fewer people and less boat traffic. I've only played the night game over the last two years. My record is roughly the same in NC but in the Bluffton/Hilton Head area of SC, night fishing is more productive.

One advantage of summer night fishing around bridges is that ladyfish often show up in or near the lights. Good sport.

LawDog

Ten Pointer
I've heard of using urchins, but they were $2 more per dozen, and I found it easier to catch the little fiddlers, which made them nearly free. I guess I wouldn't say free because I'm still nursing the oyster shell cuts from leaning on a bar trying to coral the crabs. I need to make a good trap for those crabs and a pair of beater boots, nearly lost a shoe in the mud. Nothing better than coastal fishing.

Expensive if you have to buy them...we catch them on low tide around rock jetties or the bridges. We normally catch the bigger fish on the sea urchins, but the fishing is slower.

thelivecanary

Eight Pointer
Expensive if you have to buy them...we catch them on low tide around rock jetties or the bridges. We normally catch the bigger fish on the sea urchins, but the fishing is slower.

The photos of the sheephead got me excited. We're trying to plan a trip for October, hopefully they're still around. I agree with folks above that they're one hell of a sporty fish. Next time we'll be using some urchins for certain.