Moving Moore Co deer season?

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
If you hunt in Moore County, which season zone do you prefer under the balanced option?

Biologically, Moore County is a better fit in the potential Central Deer Season Zone under the
balanced option. This is largely due to fact that the timing of peak breeding aligns with the
average peak breeding date in the Central Deer Season Zone, and the timing of harvest in the
Central Deer Season Zone is a much better biological fit. The 2016 Survey of Deer Hunters
indicated most hunters in Moore County prefer their current 11-week gun season (current
Eastern Season) over the 8-week gun season in the Central Season Zone under the balanced
option. While biologically aligning with the Central Season Zone, Moore County was placed in
the potential Southeastern Deer Season Zone to maintain or increase hunter satisfaction through
maintaining an 11-week gun season. Most of Moore County was in the Central Deer Season
prior to 2010, and was moved to the Eastern Deer Season, not for biological reasons, but at the
request of a group of hunters that wanted to increase hunting opportunity. Numerous hunters
vocally expressed an interest in moving all of Moore County back to the Central Deer Season
Zone at the D6 forum to uphold pre-2010 hunting traditions, and to do what is biologically ideal
for managing the herd. Of the 30 attendees at the D6 Forum that had an interest in deer
management in Moore County, 83% thought Moore County belonged in the Central Deer Season
Zone under the balanced option.

http://www.ncwildlife.org/Portals/0/Hunting/Documents/Deer/2017-Deer-Forum-Summary.pdf

stilker

Old Mossy Horns
I would love to see it go back to central,the way it is now you're just wasting time waiting on the rut to kick in early November anyway.

mjbrady

Twelve Pointer
You can thank Larry Caddell for spearheading Moore co into the eastern zone. Never made any sense to move the 85% of the county that was in the Central and move it into the 15% of the county that was in the Eastern. I'm all for changing it back, it should have never changed to begin with.

stilker

Old Mossy Horns
You can thank Larry Caddell for spearheading Moore co into the eastern zone. Never made any sense to move the 85% of the county that was in the Central and move it into the 15% of the county that was in the Eastern. I'm all for changing it back, it should have never changed to begin with.
I used to really look forward to bow hunting October too,never made sense to me either..

n.d.woods

Eight Pointer
Move it back, I love the Central Season dates! But I am a bias bowhunter that hates to hear a gun go off...unless it's my son😁!

klim

Twelve Pointer
Never made any sense to move the 85% of the county that was in the Central and move it into the 15% of the county that was in the Eastern. I'm all for changing it back, it should have never changed to begin with.

I agree 100% On a side note since MC was moved to the eastern season it's kinda hard for me to judge when the rut starts and ends. That's just me though.

Last edited:

hunthard2

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Really makes no difference to me. I'll hunt with a bow off and on even after black powder and rifle come in

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FishHunt

Old Mossy Horns
Leave it in the eastern season counties. I like being able to hunt the land we have in Moore early and save the hunting spots in Randolph & Montgomery for the central season.

<>< Fish

wolfpacker

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I don't live in Moore county but hunt there. I like having the extra days of the eastern gun season.

Lucky Clucker

Old Mossy Horns
Move it back,and do away with doghunting,would besom good hunting then.To hot early then dog hunters run them to death before the rutand then,all arenocturnal to the,point that you needs dam dog to get one up.

jug

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Moore county fits the eastern season better because of the Sandhills gameland areas in that county. You got Scotland and Richmond county and Moore which bring in a lot of hunters into the gamelands , not to mention dog hunting. Hunting in NC has always been about the numbers. The NCWRC wants to satisfy the most hunters. More hunters means more dollars for the states economy overall. I doubt any changes will be made unless the deer herd starts to dip downward.

jug

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
But Sandhills has its own separate deer seasons does it not?
Yes they do . All the land surrounding the gamelands however are in an Eastern season. They can still hunt while the rest of us are using guns. I think its the simplicity of the season and incorporating as many hunters in that season is what the NCWRC is after. Bottom line though they want to make money off hunting. NC and SC have the most liberal deer seasons for a reason........ MONEY maker for the states economy.
Most of us take the season for granted but you talk to a hunter from Pennsylvania or New York. They love NC and SC. I know guys who drive up from Florida to hunt Rockingham county. Hunters from Pennsylvania hunt in Halifax and Northampton. Then you got the army of hunters hitting the Sandhills gameland to sponge a deer off one the clubs dogs. We had a gameland hunter shoot a deer last year off our clubs dogs.
With all that said Northern Moore county looks like to me it still belongs in the central deer season.

Last edited:

redbow

Ten Pointer
I liked it better when it was central. Wasn't eastern and central divided by hway 211 in Moore co?

Last edited: