Heading down to cape lookout.

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
Looks like the cabins went fast after 1 hr trying most all were booked for the year.
So this year looks like I will be heading back and camping on the beach in the back of the truck.

For those that go, how do you deal with the fish?
One drum a day, can you clean them and labeled bag with fish? Then just pack in ice?
when we went and had cabins we would drop fish at the cabin for storage.
Having no place to store it other than truck most the people that are in campers clean and bag.
I guess that is all legal? They say day catch was always in one cooler and storage in another.

What you all doing?

Wildlifer

Old Mossy Horns
You have a working cooler/ day cooler plus a storage cooler. My dad goes for about a month every year and I meet up with him when I can. Basically the days catch goes in the working cooler, at the end of the day you process it and store it. Gives the ranger at least a day to check in with you if he feels like it. When my dad is there the ranger will usually check in with guys he has seen for a few days to make sure you have a system then just drop in to look at the days catch.

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
Looks like around oct 18th week.
Going to screw up open of deer but did not get to g9 last year due to storms and other crap.

23mako

Ten Pointer
Very jealous. My goal is to get a pickup soon and build a lightweight camper for the back of mine to take to lookout. Don't need all the commercial stuff or weight that comes with a mass produced slide in.

UncleFester

Old Mossy Horns
Love fishing that island, but the last time I was there we stayed 13 days in a row. I can't even hazard a guess as to how many fish we caught, but it was truck loads. One night I went out the door to the 'cabin' we were in and I swear there was a 875lb raccoon flat footed lookin me right in the eye bulbs. I specifically remember when we were on the ferry on the way out I never looked back at the island. My TIRED arse was ready to go home. Here's to good times and plenty of fish. Have a great time! Bit jealous myself.

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
I have had several slide ins.
No need for them, I have a camper shell and bed built in the back.
Front rack and rear basket for coolers and will have one or two in the back packed for ice.
All my tackle is in totes so it stacks and packs nice. Havng a 8' bed is really nice.
I plan to carry a small stove and cook gear plus the small alcohol burners as backup.

Wildlifer

Old Mossy Horns
If I remember right we cleaned the fish and just put it in a labeled bag with the date. You may want to double check with the park service right when you get off the ferry. I know they gave us grief about cutting up bluefish for bait since its a sportfish even tho it has no size limit. One of those by the book guys without common sense.

Wildlifer

Old Mossy Horns
yea its not really an issue unless you get checked. at the time we went ahead an cut up a few and put them on salt. I wouldn't do that but maybe just cut them up as you need them.

davidson county

Eight Pointer
last time out. we clean the days catch at end of day. label bag and toss the rest out at night.
only need to keep head and tail if cleaning mid day or slow times.

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
last time out. we clean the days catch at end of day. label bag and toss the rest out at night.
only need to keep head and tail if cleaning mid day or slow times.

Good to know.
Do they still do days catch at 12 am.

We would drop fish at the cabin and head back out after a late dinner to fish and after midnight we could keep another drum.

been checked many times but never a problem. I guess what we did was OK.

Just never had cleaned fish in the truck because of the cabin.
I do gut them if they are going to ride long. Helps cut weight and less to keep cool.

23mako

Ten Pointer
Gadget post some pics of your setup in your truck bed when you get a chance. Always like seeing new ideas.

davidson county

Eight Pointer
the way i was told. day catch is the day fishing.
12 am. starts another day. i always clean and put away with the date on bag.
then start next day when i get on the sand again. nothing wrong with a midnight fish fry.
we do the night time and rest when sun is out ( mid day) unless there is a bite on and hard to walk away from that