Question on game land regulations

JakeCarter

Button Buck
I'm a little confused on the regulations and hoping you guys can clear it up for me. For game lands like Uwharrie where it lists specific dates as gun season either sex, does that mean during the other dates of the central season that guns are allowed but only for bucks, or does it mean archery only during that time?

Uwharrie Game Land – Davidson, Montgomery and Randolph
counties
- Six-day-per-week area.
- Gun Either-Sex Deer Season: Nov. 11 – Nov. 17 and
Dec. 26 – Jan. 1 (moderate season).

pir8rn

Six Pointer
If you have a bow/crossbow, you can shoot either buck or does from the time archery starts through the end of the season. For gun, you can obviously shoot either during the posted dates but otherwise, it's buck only....

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
If you have a bow/crossbow, you can shoot either buck or does from the time archery starts through the end of the season. For gun, you can obviously shoot either during the posted dates but otherwise, it's buck only....

this is NOT CORRECT on public land when its buck only its buck only no matter what weapon your using even if bow can only shoot does during archery ony and the open doe days for gun and ML for gameland you mentionsed it would be buck only Nov 18th till Dec 26th no matter the weapon

stilker

Old Mossy Horns
this is NOT CORRECT on public land when its buck only its buck only no matter what weapon your using even if bow can only shoot does during archery ony and the open doe days for gun and ML for gameland you mentionsed it would be buck only Nov 18th till Dec 26th no matter the weapon
This^^^antlered deer only except those days all weapons.

Luv2Boutdoors!

Ten Pointer

I thought this as well, but was corrected by members of this forum.

Banjo

Old Mossy Horns
During "buck only" or antlered only, whichever you prefer, you can ONLY kill a buck, regardless of what weapon you are using.

shadycove

Twelve Pointer
This won't be important until next year.
And still won't matter much since after MZ season, most GL does are either dead or wild as he!!.

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
Yeah its technically antlered and antlerless not buck and doe.

But thats semantics unless you shoot one of very rare antlered does.

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
Yeah its technically antlered and antlerless not buck and doe.

But thats semantics unless you shoot one of very rare antlered does.

actually button bucks fall under antlerless if they antler hasn't broke the skin,,,,,,doesn't just pertain to the does,,,,,,,

pir8rn

Six Pointer
I have actually read the regs book. Quite closely in fact. I even asked a wildlife service agent. That's where I got my info from. Apparently he doesn't fully understand the rules either...

IMG_20170922_092042.jpg

I was under the impression that archery rules applied all year. Then additional rules are added for more advanced weaponry (ie- black powder and rifle). I was told that even if in rifle season, if you use a bow, you are still using more 'primitive' equipment, so the rules are somewhat more in your favor in order to facilitate a harvest.

I guess it trips me up since it says *gun* either sex season...

Last edited:

Homebrewale

Old Mossy Horns
During archery season, you can use only archery equipment and you follow archery rules.

During blackpowder season, you can use blackpowder firearms and archery equipment and you follow blackpowder rules.

During gun season, you can use guns, blackpowder firearms and archery equipment and you follow gun rules.

BuzzCut

Ten Pointer
During archery season, you can use only archery equipment and you follow archery rules.

During blackpowder season, you can use blackpowder firearms and archery equipment and you follow blackpowder rules.

During gun season, you can use guns, blackpowder firearms and archery equipment and you follow gun rules.

Homebrewale nailed it clearly...easy to understand explanation.

Homebrewale

Old Mossy Horns
Homebrewale nailed it clearly...easy to understand explanation.

Thanks. The WRC doesn't make it easy for some to understand. My background in rule writing led me to the answer. pir8rn posted a portion of the Regs Digest from page 57. That page explains the archery, blackpowder firearm, and gun either-sex deer seasons. The clue is that at the top which says continued from page 47. On page 47 under Weapons and Dogs, it lists the type of legal weapons allowed for archery, blackpowder and gun seasons.

Hunters have got to understand there are separate seasons for archery, blackpowder and gun. Just because you can use archery equipment in gun season doesn't mean you follow archery rules. It is gun season, not archery season. For example, in the Eastern Deer Season (page 53), archery season is September 9 - September 29. It isn't September 9 - January 1. Gun season is October 14 - January 1. It's gun season during that time - you may want to use blackpowder or archery but you follow the rules of the season at that time which is gun season.

Homebrewale

Old Mossy Horns
I have a question who translates the rules into the regulations digest?

Don't know that answer. Currently, there is only one rule writer for the WRC. I don't know if she does the work or provides any review to the person who does.

pir8rn

Six Pointer

OK. This makes sense, but it's not how it was explained to me by the NCWRC agent I talked to.

So I stand corrected. Thank you for the clarification.

And I agree that you should be writing the digest...