Ancestry DNA

ibgreen

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I got mine back and it said half gringo, half cracker. I may have sent it to the wrong address?

shadycove

Twelve Pointer
Lots more folks giving our info away or selling it, me and 143 million other folks were just screwed by the largest credit bureau in the US. Bottom line is that there not anything effective we can do about it.
Several years back, the State of South Carolina lost millions of folks' info, including mine. At least they put LifeLock on our credit reports for free. I still get reports so I guess that it is still active. I sure hope so since LifeLock will let me know if anything goes sideways on my reports.
Everyones info is out there, of this I am sure.
It's hunting season so lets go hunting and to Hades with this crap.
Good luck to all who are hunting in the AM.

Homebrewale

Old Mossy Horns
I've heard about them selling your info so advertisers can target you. And call me a skeptic, because I am one but I think they could just say anything and most people would believe it. I also really don't care to know any details. I know my great grandparents on my mom's side were Irish because that's where they came to America from. They actually still spoke with the brogue even though they'd been here many years. My maternal aunt went to Ireland and found some of their relatives while there. That's all I know and like I said that's enough for me.

You do know that Ireland was invaded by various groups over the last centuries. My wife's family is 100% Italian on both sides as they know their descendants but Italy was invaded by the Goths. So it's not surprising her results show central European relatives. I should be Irish, English and German but I won't be surprised there may be Italian or Scandinavian countries mixed in. That's why I'm doing the test. I'm curious.

NCST8GUY

Frozen H20 Guy
I guess I'm lucky. My last name is a result of the region, or rather, the river they lived nearby when some King stated they HAD to have last names in order to keep up with who paid taxes.

It's somewhat rare. Few in the phone book (when they were popular) and if you google my full name, you only get 3 or 4 matches (all doing better than I am :mad:) .

But it is on my bucket list to one day see this river.

I would much rather use something along the lines of ancestry.com which follows names, rather than something that follows DNA. Names can only come back to hurt me so much, unless someone else in my family tree has already given their DNA :mad:

Zach's Grandpa

Old Mossy Horns
I've done a lot of genealogy research, it's very addictive by the way. My last name was changed from the German spelling of Appel to Apple in 1736 when the first two arrived here at Philadelphia. On my Mom's side I can go back to the 1680's.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

stiab

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
No way I'm turning that info over to a corporation whose sole purpose is to make money.

A friend of mine who is big into genealogy and other known family members did the test at the same time, and it came back that some of them were not related. Investigation turns out that the person he had known all his life as his grandfather was actually not. Grandmother slept around he learned from other family members, and true grandfather was Italian coal miner in PA. Some family members had known that, he had not.

JONOV

Old Mossy Horns
I also venture to imagine they may show some infidelity down the line somewhere, while great great great grandpappy was off in the war or in the fields. I heard someone say they were certain they had X amount of Indian in them.... DNA result came back to show that the their pale skin and inability to track a muskox across their living room might just not be a coincidence lmao

I think there's something psychological about people claiming some iota of Native American blood...I don't know what it is, maybe they think it gives them a moral high ground on others? Not sure...

In any case, while it sounds neat, I know where and when my dad's side came over here. I know what the last name was changed from (mostly abbreviated.) Whether or not their great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great granddad came in on a viking raid or a merchant ship from the British Isles or with a Roman Legion from Italy or a trade route from Turkey isn't really relevant to me.

People forget that humans have gotten around for a long time. Due to trade, war, persecution, etc, they move around. So it doesn't surprise me that your family that you thought was French also has a fair amount of North African...Did they think people didn't travel across the Mediterranean?

What I would like to research more is my mom's side. Supposedly they largely came over with the other Catholics and Lord Baltimore, but some came on the Mayflower and some were settlers in Virginia. That's probably a lot neater. I also know that two 5x great uncles, brothers, were civil war veterans and that one fought for the union and one for the confederacy. The hard part is, that since its 300+ years removed, Mom simply say's "we're English."

Homebrewale

Old Mossy Horns
Of course you don't, they are a for-profit corporation, exactly as I called them.

The point I was making is that you buy stuff from a lot of for-profit corporations. All that stuff in Cabelas are made by for-profit corporations. Cabelas itself is a for-profit corporation. I can understand not being interested or better things to spend money on. Nefarious things they will do with the DNA may need a tinfoil hat. So why is it bad that Ancestry is a for-profit company but Cabelas is not.

stiab

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
The point I was making is that you buy stuff from a lot of for-profit corporations.
But you don't have to give them your DNA to do it. Your profile will be for sale at some point, it would be naĂŻve not to believe that. Cabelas will share my address with Field and Stream so they can also send me flyers and that's OK, but I prefer not to have DNA info floating around out there. Go back and look at post #3, and there are several others that express the same sentiment.

UncleFester

Old Mossy Horns
Did anyone happen to see the triplet women that sent their swabs in to get a history? All three came back different and they were identical triplets. I do think it's all BS at this point, but has the potential to change in the not too distant future.

Homebrewale

Old Mossy Horns
But you don't have to give them your DNA to do it. Your profile will be for sale at some point, it would be naĂŻve not to believe that. Cabelas will share my address with Field and Stream so they can also send me flyers and that's OK, but I prefer not to have DNA info floating around out there. Go back and look at post #3, and there are several others that express the same sentiment.

I don't share the concern but then my tinfoil hat fits pretty well.

JONOV

Old Mossy Horns
Did anyone happen to see the triplet women that sent their swabs in to get a history? All three came back different and they were identical triplets. I do think it's all BS at this point, but has the potential to change in the not too distant future.

I didn't see that. It reminds me of the DNA tests they sell for mutts. My friend got one, and they ASKED FOR A PICTURE OF THE DOG to be sent in with a sample. What a racket. I can do that...sit down at the Kitchen table with my wife and say, "looks like a lab and a beagle got together to me, what you think?"

GSOHunter

Twelve Pointer
Contributor

Identical twins don't have identical DNA. It is very similar. They also have different fingerprints.

dobber

Old Mossy Horns
depending on what side of the fence you are on the following are the only 2 options to really dig down into where you come from
1.) Adam and Eve
2.) single cell micro-organisms

UncleFester

Old Mossy Horns
Identical twins don't have identical DNA. It is very similar. They also have different fingerprints.

Fingerprints can be environmentally determined during development. DNA between identical twins is virtually identical, it can mutate over time, but the general lineage is the same, one egg divided. The test I'm talking about was for the Dahm triplets. http://www.ninjajournalist.com/entertainment/identical-triplets-dna-test/ The article states these tests should be looked at for entertainment only at this point.

dlbaile

Ten Pointer
I'm with the gentelman about DNA data base,keep mine in my mouth for safe keeping, thank you very much

SamCo89

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I know - I was joshing - everyone's needs 4 or 5 ex cons in the wood pile

Speaking of that- found out my great great great great(something like that) grandfather on my mothers side fought in the Civil War, but was stabbed to death while in Robison Co jail on assault charges.

On my fathers side we've gone back to the late 1700/early 1800's. Mothers side we tracked back to when our ancestors came in from Ireland in the 1700s.

Both sides of the family fought for the confederacy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
Speaking of that- found out my great great great great(something like that) grandfather on my mothers side fought in the Civil War, but was stabbed to death while in Robison Co jail on assault charges.

On my fathers side we've gone back to the late 1700/early 1800's. Mothers side we tracked back to when our ancestors came in from Ireland in the 1700s.

Both sides of the family fought for the confederacy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

ex-cons are MUCH closer in my family history!!!