Ancestry DNA

beard&bow

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
My wife is part Indian, that's been known her entire life. Her bother, along with my wife and I, recently ordered ancestry dna kits. His came, he sent it back, they returned his values. Ours were delayed due to a mix up in address. What's neat, and sad at the same time, is there are "unknown" markers in his dna that pretty much follow the Trail of Tears. Anyone here done it yet? What are you made of?

Homebrewale

Old Mossy Horns
I have the kit sitting here in the house. I've been procrastinating. My wife has already done it. Results pretty much as expected. She's most Italian with some central European countries mixed in.

NCST8GUY

Frozen H20 Guy
Have y'all read everything you give up when you sign it and send it in? Some members on here can describe much better than myself exactly what you are opening yourself up to.

I'd rather question it myself. Because of what I've been warned.

I'll take my parents and their parents' words for it over a cheek swab.

At some point, unless medically important, what does it matter? Why do I care?

Last edited:

ScottyB

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Im one hundred percent Redneck by way of Johnston County NC

Four oaks and Wilsons Mill to be exact

Good enough for me

23mako

Ten Pointer
I can trace my lineage back in NC to about 1690. The conspiracy theorist in me doesn't want to do those kits but they sound cool!

BarSinister

Old Mossy Horns
I know my Grandfather from my Father's side came from Sicily. His Wife came from Ireland. Talk about good food growing up! On my Mother's side My Grandfather came from Poland and we thought our whole lives that his wife came from Poland too but after she passed my Mom and Aunt found papers saying she came from Austria. Apparently many people did that due to the politics in that area at that time. They all came here in the early 1900's. That's enough for me. I don't want someone having my DNA.

Firefly

Old Mossy Horns
Im one hundred percent Redneck by way of Johnston County NC

Four oaks and Wilsons Mill to be exact

Good enough for me

Yep, me also...Selma, Smithfield and Micro to be exact..I don't really care about my ancestry and I'll keep my DNA...

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
My sisters and mother took the 23 and me test....all came up with totally different results..,,bogus

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
My sisters and mother took the 23 and me test....all came up with totally different results..,,bogus

Yep
have been cases where the same person sends it in 2 times.
Both different.

They are just building a DNA data base for later use.

shadycove

Twelve Pointer
I have not done this test and won't, but my DNA [and probably most of y'alls] is in the possession of some entity somewhere.
If you have been in a hospital, given blood, had lab work at your Dr. or been in the service, it is out there somewhere.
I don't care since I am sure of this and it is what it is and I have nothing to hide.
If you believe that your DNA sent to any company to find out who your great great Granddaddy was, is going to cause you problems, your tin hat may be getting a little tight.
Personally, I am more worried about the shape our nation finds itself in right now.

dpc

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Not sure about Human side, but buddy of mine and his wife did one for their rescue dog. It came back and said the little ankle biter was 40% Great Pyrenees. It made him feel better when he took her for walks on her pink retractable leash.

Blackwater

Twelve Pointer
My wife's family kept insisting they had some Spanish ancestry but NO native American and I kept insisting they had NA because I could see some physiological indicators for it so she sent her spit off and were we ever in for a surprise. Yes, they had NA; 14%, as well as 17% Spanish, Central Asian, North African (Arab) and several others, but the real surprise was her father's ancestry. He was killed in a B-17 over France and it being a wartime romance and marriage very little was known about him. Turns out he was 100% European Jewish and no one knew, or else her Mom was keeping lots of secrets.

Firefly

Old Mossy Horns
We played Pine Level in basketball many times, always beat them too..

Last edited:

Justin

Old Mossy Horns
I also venture to imagine they may show some infidelity down the line somewhere, while great great great grandpappy was off in the war or in the fields. I heard someone say they were certain they had X amount of Indian in them.... DNA result came back to show that the their pale skin and inability to track a muskox across their living room might just not be a coincidence lmao

QuietButDeadly

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
My SIL is a genealogy freak. She spends hours on end researching and working on her and our family trees. She has come up with some pretty interesting stuff over the years. She was born and raised in Minnesota and met my brother when she was working civil service and he was in the army. Not sure if she has had the DNA test but I know my brother has.

One thing she found was that my family has not always had the last name we have now. About 3 generations back, 3 brothers changed their last name to what our last name is now. She has found the record where the name change was documented but she has never been able to find any record or even a clue as to why it was done. She has run into a lot of dead ends as records were not kept back then like they are now and we will probably never know the whole story. But with her research and some DNA testing, she has found and confirmed some of our distant kin that still have the original name.

So, if your name is Adcock, we might be some kin.

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
My SIL is a genealogy freak. She spends hours on end researching and working on her and our family trees. She has come up with some pretty interesting stuff over the years. She was born and raised in Minnesota and met my brother when she was working civil service and he was in the army. Not sure if she has had the DNA test but I know my brother has.

One thing she found was that my family has not always had the last name we have now. About 3 generations back, 3 brothers changed their last name to what our last name is now. She has found the record where the name change was documented but she has never been able to find any record or even a clue as to why it was done. She has run into a lot of dead ends as records were not kept back then like they are now and we will probably never know the whole story. But with her research and some DNA testing, she has found and confirmed some of our distant kin that still have the original name.

may not want to know,,,,,,just saying,,,,,,,

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
After WWI and WWII there were a lot of name changes.
Some Gov people also changed names to hide ties to projects or stuff that happened.

shadycove

Twelve Pointer
Can you say witness protection......it is for sure 70+ years old. So maybe you don't need to know what great grandpaws name was or what he did.

Last edited:

Uwharrieman

Ten Pointer
My wife and I attended a genealogy meeting in Chatham, VA last May.
They gave six DNA kits out as door prizes, I won one of them.
After taking the test and sending it to the company, I waited.

When results came back there were a few surprises. I had always been told there was
Native American blood on my maternal grandmothers' side, results showed 0%.Disappointing.
Most of it seemed about right for me, mostly European, Scotland-England-Wales,etc,
small connections to South Africa and the Middle East,? Beats me.

This was not the higher costing tests, the more markers they test the better DNA.
There are tests that not only show the main areas where the people come from but even narrow down the area where they lived.
A lady who has worked in the field for many years she had her
husband tested by three well-known DNA kits from different companies.

She said all three tests were somewhat different. Still, the better kits will give you a
good guide where they originated. Good luck, and have fun with it.

Banjo

Old Mossy Horns

I have a genealogist in the family also. He traced our name back to Scotland. My last is Strahin, which is a surname of Strachan. He also contends that Michael Strahan is also in our bloodline.

Part-time hunter

Ten Pointer
I've heard about them selling your info so advertisers can target you. And call me a skeptic, because I am one but I think they could just say anything and most people would believe it. I also really don't care to know any details. I know my great grandparents on my mom's side were Irish because that's where they came to America from. They actually still spoke with the brogue even though they'd been here many years. My maternal aunt went to Ireland and found some of their relatives while there. That's all I know and like I said that's enough for me.