Prayers/Guidance appreciated.

nchunt101

Ten Pointer
I posted a while back about my father being in a horse accident and suffering a total spinal cord injury. Prayers worked and he is doing better than expected but still suffers from the side effects that limit him both emotionally and physically. The blood pressure roller coaster than accompanies spinal injuries and various infections are the main issues he deals with and I beg God daily to do something for them.

That said I need prayers. It seems selfish to me to ask but I am having a hard time seeing him struggle. I see him allmost daily but I still miss my dad. He stays strong for my mom and my sisters as well as me but he will open up to me. Seeing the best and strongest man I will ever know suffering and depending on me is hard. I know it is part of growing up but my dad needing me still feels wrong. If it was anyone else it would be different but not not being able to go to him for advice is the most challenging thing ever. Sorry for rant it id just a struggle to stay positive right now.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

nchunter13

Eight Pointer
Prayers for you and your Dad. It is very hard to see the man that has been your hero your whole life be dependent on you or others because of health or age issues.

Soilman

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Cases like this are often tougher on the care givers than the patient. I know first hand. My dad started on a long, slow degrade in health in his mid 40's. He had the arteries in from his sternum to both legs replaced, had his right leg amputated, had his carotid arteries cleaned out and suffered 2 strokes in a 20 year time period. Just before my job moved me to Warrenton, he suffered his 2nd stroke. For the following 2 years, all I did was work and drive back to Charlotte every weekend or day off to help take care of dad.
I did a lot of praying in that time. Dad's motto was, "I might give out, but I'm not giving up". It was hard. I often tell folks, "I don't regret the things I didn't do with my dad,...I regret the things we COULDN'T do." I'd once prayed to God that I wasn't ready to loose my dad. That prayer was answered with a positive response, and I had my dad for quite some years afterward.

Two years after moving to Warrenton, I returned to my office from working in the field one day. My co-workers had been looking for me for several hours. A call had come in that I needed to get home asap. On the drive to Charlotte, it hit me. It was like God sending me a message. I KNEW that when I returned to Warrenton, I would be without a dad.
That too, came to pass.

My point is, yes, it is a hard road, but try to cherish your time with your dad, no matter his condition, or personal burden it places on you, because there will come a time, all to soon, that you can't. Trust me, you won't regret it. I still miss my dad, but I don't regret all I went through or sacrificed in order to be there for him in those last 2 years.
Dad had been gone for 20 years now, and I've not related this to many people. I guess now its time to. I hope this helps.

Ncfish001

Four Pointer
My Dad went to be with his lord and savior eight days ago. I've already twice wished he was here for specific advice on work things. As I thought it through I knew what advice he would have given me and it made me realize that even though he's not here he will always be with me. Take care of him and enjoy your time with him. You should be honored he's opening up to you even if it's tough. Shows Just how much he loves and respects you. Hang in there. Prayers sent.

nchunt101

Ten Pointer
Thanks for the prayers and support. I am generally pretty positive about things but it about broke me Friday seeing how weak he got after dinner. Seeing him teach my stepson how to cook a brunswick stew over wood this weekend really made me inderstand how fortunate and blessed I am to still have him. It brought me to tears seeing how happy those two make each other. It is also wonderful for my dad to have a little guy he can order around and grumble at.

nchunt101

Ten Pointer
Cases like this are often tougher on the care givers than the patient. I know first hand. My dad started on a long, slow degrade in health in his mid 40's. He had the arteries in from his sternum to both legs replaced, had his right leg amputated, had his carotid arteries cleaned out and suffered 2 strokes in a 20 year time period. Just before my job moved me to Warrenton, he suffered his 2nd stroke. For the following 2 years, all I did was work and drive back to Charlotte every weekend or day off to help take care of dad.
I did a lot of praying in that time. Dad's motto was, "I might give out, but I'm not giving up". It was hard. I often tell folks, "I don't regret the things I didn't do with my dad,...I regret the things we COULDN'T do." I'd once prayed to God that I wasn't ready to loose my dad. That prayer was answered with a positive response, and I had my dad for quite some years afterward.

Two years after moving to Warrenton, I returned to my office from working in the field one day. My co-workers had been looking for me for several hours. A call had come in that I needed to get home asap. On the drive to Charlotte, it hit me. It was like God sending me a message. I KNEW that when I returned to Warrenton, I would be without a dad.
That too, came to pass.

My point is, yes, it is a hard road, but try to cherish your time with your dad, no matter his condition, or personal burden it places on you, because there will come a time, all to soon, that you can't. Trust me, you won't regret it. I still miss my dad, but I don't regret all I went through or sacrificed in order to be there for him in those last 2 years.
Dad had been gone for 20 years now, and I've not related this to many people. I guess now its time to. I hope this helps.

Thanks. This really helped. It isn't a burden so much as facing the fact he won't allways be here. Really makes me feel like a scared little kid seeing the man who is my hero depending on me.