Clover and Oats

getTwisted

Ten Pointer
I created two kill plots on a property last month. Both are going to be permanent Clover plots eventually but since the clover is a little slower to get establish I wanted to hunt over it this year, so I seeded Oats in with the clover.

Both the clover and the oat are growing. The oats have taken off and are growing very good and the deer are already eating it. My question, will my oats keep my clover from growing now? The clover is growing but at a very slow rate. I'm just over 2 weeks in and the oats are almost 4 inches tall. The clover is just above the ground. Should I have planted at different times? Or will this be fine?

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
You will be fine, that's pretty standard practice and sometimes it's better to plant a crop to shade the clover until the permanent crowns(root structures) form. Overseed in the early spring and you'll be a step ahead....also pretty much standard practice until the clover is old enough to reseed itself on a yearly basis.

Banjo

Old Mossy Horns
It shouldn't. I haven't been able to plant a fall food plot for several years, but I like to plant 40 lb of oats, 15 lb of crimson clover and 5 lb of arrow leaf clover per acre. The oats never choked out the clover.

stilker

Old Mossy Horns
That's the way I always do it and it does fine,the oats should give the clover time to get established.

KTMan

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
That's the only way I plant my cover. Oats give deer a great summer feed as well.