seeking Remington Versa Max sportsman reviews

22LR

Twelve Pointer
Seeking honest reviews on Remington Versa Max sportsman 12 gauge. Seriously considering getting one. What's your thoughts? Thanks

41magfan

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
An Instructor buddy of mine bought the "Tactical" model (24" barrel) when they were first introduced and I got chance to wring it out good right from the box when it was new. It cycles fast, handles recoil well and eats everything form mild field loads to the full power stuff without a bobble. Light Field loads feel like a .20 gauge.

The design of the gas system requires a somewhat oversize fore-end and it feels a tad "boxy" to me, but only because it's different from what I'm used to. He shoots 3-Gun competition with it and hasn't had any reliability issues to my knowledge. The VersaMax takes the new ProBore choke system so that's a minor inconvenience if you already have an inventory of Rem-Chokes.

haywoodhunter

Eight Pointer
I bought one about 2 months ago. So far I really love it! Downsides are the weight and (not necessarily a downside but inconvenience as 41magfan said) pro bore chokes. I've shot 1 oz loads to 3.5 longbeards. I don't plan on shooting 3.5 but my buddy had some that he wanted me to shoot. I fear now I have lost my versamax cause as soon as my wife got ahold of it she told me so lol. It's my first autoloader and to state the obvious the felt recoil is worlds different than my 870s. In my opinion if the weight doesn't bother you and you don't mind the wide forend then it's a great choice.

It did really well dove hunting and I the longbeards I put through it with the redhead blackout choke (I believe made by carlsons) showed much promise

CBD21

Eight Pointer
I've got 2 versamaxs in the safe the waterfowl pro and a sportsman both have performed flawless here and in Arkansas with any load that has been put through them. Only downsides as stated above is they're heavy and the pro bore. I will also add being a gas gun they do get dirty fast where I will shoot my benelli almost all season with hardly any cleaning the versamaxs get cleaned every couple hunts.

22LR

Twelve Pointer
Thanks again, I don't duck hunt but maybe go dove hunting but want it for a good deer gun with buckshot. Should last me a long time.

nchunt101

Ten Pointer
Thanks again, I don't duck hunt but maybe go dove hunting but want it for a good deer gun with buckshot. Should last me a long time.

If you are looking a a nice all around shotgun my cousin is trying to sell a Browining Silver Hunter. Sorry to hijack.