It's Chili Season

thelivecanary

Eight Pointer
Ok fellars, get out your bragging stick and swing big. Who's got the best chili recipe and if you don't want to share, because it's an award winner at the fire house, that's fine but what puts yours over the top. I'll detail the gist of my recipe below but let's see some others.

1 lb ground venison
0.5 to a full 1 lb pork breakfast sausage (The amount depends on how soon your next doctor's visit is.)
1 Large onion (diced)
1 Yellow, Red or Orange Bell Pepper (These are sweeter than green peppers.) (diced)
Mushrooms (My favorites are the one's I find in the woods but a button mushroom or baby bella will do.) (diced)
2 cloves garlic (crushed)
2 jalapenos (seeded, minced)
1 habanero (seeded, minced)
2 large cans whole peeled tomatoes
1 can black beans
3/4 of a 12oz stout beer (Duck Rabbit is probably best for this application.)

Spice Mix (Tablespoon = X)
2 X chili powder
1X Paprika
1 X cumin
1 X onion powder
1 X garlic powder
0.5 X chipotle powder
0.5 X salt (Or less depends on taste)
0.5 X pepper (Or less depends on taste.)
2 X Hershey cocoa powder

Nothing fancy from here, brown the meat, sweat the veggies (add some salt to speed this up), add the garlic and mushrooms, add the browned meat back to the veggies, add the black beans with some bean water, add the spice mix, and cook until it really stinks up the kitchen, then add the tomatoes and crush with a fork, swig the beer, pour in about 3/4 of the bottle, stir and then finish the beer. Simmer for about a half hour and taste, adjust the salt if necessary. Do not cook more than 1/2 an hour because you'll start getting on the other side of the flavor curve and certain flavors will start dropping out. If the tomatoes aren't very sweet adjust that by adding in brown sugar or honey or use a sweeter stout. If the tomatoes are too sweet and combined with the stout you've gone to far on that spectrum just hit it with some lemon juice to balance the acid back out.

I'm just happy it's Chili season and can't wait to see all the other recipes - Cheers.

Last edited:

pattersonj11

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I dont have a recipe. I just start with browned burger and chili powder.

I didnt notice sugar in your mix. Ive never made a good pot without some sugar.

gaberelli

Button Buck
Mine is nearly identical but I use dark chocolate bar over cocoa powder. When it melts is thickens the chili too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

thelivecanary

Eight Pointer
Mine is nearly identical but I use dark chocolate bar over cocoa powder. When it melts is thickens the chili too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes and...I like the thickening component and you get to eat a half a chocolate bar that didn't make the pot, which is nice.

thelivecanary

Eight Pointer
I dont have a recipe. I just start with browned burger and chili powder.

I didnt notice sugar in your mix. Ive never made a good pot without some sugar.

You don't need extra sugar because you're using sweet red bell peppers, stout beer and sweet onion. If the tomatoes are to acidic than you can get in there with some sugar but usually, I find, you don't need the extra sugar. Also, I'm a northerner, so I'm not a sweet tea guy, which likely has a lot to do with it...haha.

pattersonj11

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
You don't need extra sugar because you're using sweet red bell peppers, stout beer and sweet onion. If the tomatoes are to acidic than you can get in there with some sugar but usually, I find, you don't need the extra sugar. Also, I'm a northerner, so I'm not a sweet tea guy, which likely has a lot to do with it...haha.

Its hard to find good tomatos during the fall/winter. You have to use canned and they vary a lot on sweetness

apexhunter

Ten Pointer
My secrets are to roast the garlic for a more deep flavor, add semi sweet chocolate (like is used for baking) and add a small amount of instant coffee. I do my chili in BIG batches so my portions are larger:
6+# of ground venison browned with some salt added while cooking
4 large cans of kidney beans (half red & half dark)- rinse well before adding into the chili
3 large cans of crushed & 2 of whole tomatoes (drain most of the juice out)
1 head garlic- roast the whole head then squeeze into the chili
1- tbs tomato paste
2-3 Vidalia onions diced
2-3 peppers (green, red or yellow) diced
3- 2.5oz bottles chili powder
Salt & pepper to taste (1-2 tbs each as needed)
6+/- pieces semi sweet dark chocolate
1-2 tbs instant coffee
2- tsp Worcestershire sauce
1- tbs liquid smoke
Texas Pete to taste (1-2 tsp+/-)

Sometimes for additional texture & flavor I'll grill some thin steaks over medium coals to med-rare and cut into 3/8" cubes as a substitute for a pound or 2 of ground meat. I also sweat out my onions & peppers before adding them to increase the flavor and reduce the green taste. My chili is thick (eat with a fork thick) and if needed I'll use beef stock to cut while cooking...no water. When using ground beef I will use 1/3# ground pork for every pound of beef for added flavor (or substitute pork sausage). I typically don't add mushrooms as many in my family don't like them but when I do I use baby portabella button tops cut in half.

thelivecanary

Eight Pointer
My secrets are to roast the garlic for a more deep flavor, add semi sweet chocolate (like is used for baking) and add a small amount of instant coffee. I do my chili in BIG batches so my portions are larger:
6+# of ground venison browned with some salt added while cooking
4 large cans of kidney beans (half red & half dark)- rinse well before adding into the chili
3 large cans of crushed & 2 of whole tomatoes (drain most of the juice out)
1 head garlic- roast the whole head then squeeze into the chili
1- tbs tomato paste
2-3 Vidalia onions diced
2-3 peppers (green, red or yellow) diced
3- 2.5oz bottles chili powder
Salt & pepper to taste (1-2 tbs each as needed)
6+/- pieces semi sweet dark chocolate
1-2 tbs instant coffee
2- tsp Worcestershire sauce
1- tbs liquid smoke
Texas Pete to taste (1-2 tsp+/-)

Sometimes for additional texture & flavor I'll grill some thin steaks over medium coals to med-rare and cut into 3/8" cubes as a substitute for a pound or 2 of ground meat. I also sweat out my onions & peppers before adding them to increase the flavor and reduce the green taste. My chili is thick (eat with a fork thick) and if needed I'll use beef stock to cut while cooking...no water. When using ground beef I will use 1/3# ground pork for every pound of beef for added flavor (or substitute pork sausage). I typically don't add mushrooms as many in my family don't like them but when I do I use baby portabella button tops cut in half.

This looks great and I like the batch size...freezer bags or more friends to get to the bottom of this pot. Haha. I also like the roasted garlic, i'll be doing this as well. I totally agree, never add water to a soup or stew. It's so easy to make or buy stock, don't water down the flavors you've built up, always be adding more flavor no matter what, hence the beer...haha.

Homebrewale

Old Mossy Horns
Does anyone have a recipe that doesn't use chili powder? I've been playing around with making a chile paste by rehydrating dried chile peppers. I have not gotten the right combo yet. Generally, start with Ancho and New Mexico peppers and then add some De arbol or Japone for heat.

thelivecanary

Eight Pointer
Does anyone have a recipe that doesn't use chili powder? I've been playing around with making a chile paste by rehydrating dried chile peppers. I have not gotten the right combo yet. Generally, start with Ancho and New Mexico peppers and then add some De arbol or Japone for heat.

I really like this idea, I'll try some things next week and let you know - It's a good concept and will likely produce a chili with a more uniquely 'Chili' flavor. Great idea.

Homebrewale

Old Mossy Horns
I really like this idea, I'll try some things next week and let you know - It's a good concept and will likely produce a chili with a more uniquely 'Chili' flavor. Great idea.

What you do is rehydrate dried peppers in hot water, put them in a blender to puree, and then put the puree through a fine mesh colander to remove the seeds and skins. For some flavor in other dishes, freeze the chile paste in an ice cube tray. Still working on the proper proportion of peppers. I may try smoking a pepper someday.

apexhunter

Ten Pointer
This looks great and I like the batch size...freezer bags or more friends to get to the bottom of this pot. Haha. I also like the roasted garlic, i'll be doing this as well. I totally agree, never add water to a soup or stew. It's so easy to make or buy stock, don't water down the flavors you've built up, always be adding more flavor no matter what, hence the beer...haha.

My wife is a Tupperware snob so we have plenty of containers- but I mainly use the quart soup containers recycled from Chinese takeout to put up meal size portions. I prefer to make a couple large batches over the year versus small pots every other weekend...and to me it is easier to balance the seasoning with larger batches.

Last edited:

thelivecanary

Eight Pointer
What you do is rehydrate dried peppers in hot water, put them in a blender to puree, and then put the puree through a fine mesh colander to remove the seeds and skins. For some flavor in other dishes, freeze the chile paste in an ice cube tray. Still working on the proper proportion of peppers. I may try smoking a pepper someday.

I've done a few hot sauces utilizing smoked peppers, specifically jalapeno and habanero. The sauce is always excellent but I haven't smoked any peppers and then completed the drying process to make my own powder/flake. Interesting concept though I may have to try it.

Homebrewale

Old Mossy Horns
I've done a few hot sauces utilizing smoked peppers, specifically jalapeno and habanero. The sauce is always excellent but I haven't smoked any peppers and then completed the drying process to make my own powder/flake. Interesting concept though I may have to try it.

It's fun to experiment. I'll have more time in a few years when I retire.