crabgrass in my clover

PPosey

Twelve Pointer
The stuff has really taken off without me noticing,,

I mowed a couple of weeks ago and now there are seed heads sticking up everywhere,,

If I spray with Clethodim 2E I can kill the grass but will it kill the seeds as well?? If I mow again Im just scattering more seeds,, at this point should I just wait till next year and plan on spraying a couple times early and mid season with the Clethodim 2E

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
It's on it's way out for this year, and too late to do anything about it. Deer actually really like crabgrass, maybe even more than clover.

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
They might like it more than tough overgrown clover but I have never seen them crop it down to the ground to the mud here, clover when planted I have many times.

PPosey

Twelve Pointer
Alright so I will wait till next year and hit with Clethodim 2E early. I have a mix of white clover, chickory, and birdsfoot trefoil, deer and turkeys seem to love it all

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I would hit it next spring prior to soil temps being in the 55 degree range with a good pre emergent then clean up the rest later on with the Clethodim 2E. You will get much better results that way.

PPosey

Twelve Pointer
I haft carry everything 200 yards up a steep hill, that said I have 2 healthy kids that carry water up for me and I have a good 4 gal backpack sprayer,,,,, I also have fruit and nut trees I don't want to damage

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Your pre emergent isn't likely to damage any existing plants. It goes in the soil and forms a barrier and stops germination of seeds, nothing else. Now there are parameters to which it can be applied as with all pesticides but as a general rule it won't cause near the issues that you will encounter with post emergent pesticides.