Pricing out new outboards (90hp)

hawkman

Eight Pointer
Been thinking about a used boat and given any specific model, I'm seeing a range of condition of older boats (~2000 era) that have sat for awhile but might run all the way up to the same boat that's immaculate and used weekly as a fishing boat. Along with that range comes quite a price difference of course. I'm slightly aware of the money that might have to be sunk into an older boat and not to be necessarily enticed by the sale price alone. That being said, the condition of the boat and the motor are the two most important pieces of info, with the accessories coming in 3rd, I'd say.

So, if the older boat was priced such that repowering was worth it, I'd like to know what it might cost to buy a new 90hp outboard, 2- or 4-stroke. This really isn't a discussion of which type to choose. I can read up on that endlessly elsewhere. I spoke with someone who advised "If you are going to re-power, don't buy used. Buy new". You might also give advice as to what time of year there might be deals on motors - as new models come out or whatever.

In your recent experience, what prices have you come across for various 90-hp outboards?

Last edited:

dc bigdaddy

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Jack's Pa got Precision Marine in Goldsboro to Repower his. As far as I know, he was pleased with their work. They sell Suzuki and Yamaha. Tideland in Jacksonville sells Evenrude 2-strokes. Either of them should be able to put you in the ball park of what a new motor should cost fairly quickly.

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
Pending the brand look at this.
Weight and power range.
In other words for merc the 75 90 and 115 are all 2.1L motors same weight size and all.
They are tuned different.
That said, there was about 500 to 600 between them.
So the 115 costs in the range of 8800$ and around 8000 for a 75.
Some brands weight to HP make it worth getting the smaller lighter motor vs next step up adding 20 ish HP and another 100 pounds plus.

Make sure you look at bottom line out the door on them. For repowers there can be a lot of addons. Also make sure your 15 to 20 year old boat will take the weight of the new ones. Transom and ballance.

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
Look up Eds superstore in ashton va they have deals on motors and sales deals on 2015 and 16 in some cases good amount off.
they list them online and may save tax money.
In NC you are hit with normal sales tax on repowers that could add 500 to 1000 in taxes.

Firefly

Old Mossy Horns
You can look at all the boat motors and basically what they cost on the internet..Some places that sell them have better prices to the tune of several thousand dollars from what I have seen..Never would I buy a used outboard over a new one if I could afford to buy one that has never been used...Been there done that...Its your money, you decide..

30/06

Twelve Pointer
Make sure you factor in rigging costs and controls. Some of the newer outboards are fly by wire and you can't reuse your older mechanical controls. Buying from someone like Eds may look appealing but if you need rigging you need to get your arms around those costs. You should be able to get a better deal on labor if you buy from a dealer. Not saying it's bad to buy from a internet dealer. Just do your homework on all the costs. I've had many marinas and mechanics go way over their estimate....get it in writing.

Last edited:

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Very little "deals" to be had as far as year end on outboards now. They have year of mfg. but that means little, the date put in service is what counts.

hawkman

Eight Pointer
I took a look in-person at the boat I was interested in. Turns out the phrase "the motor runs" really meant "it starts but doesn't run". The boat sat up for years with fuel in the tank. Not something that can't be fixed, but given the care of the boat in general (or lack of care), it made it more apparent I'd be thinking repowering sooner than later imo. I'd be better off, given the condition of the rest of the boat, in finding the right used boat that will serve me faithfully without repowering.

Longrifle

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Carbs will "green up" after a little while with fuel left sitting in them, may just need a good cleaning. That's why I always run'em out of fuel at the end of the day. I bought a 92 Cajun Fishmaster CC with a 115 Suzuki on it, hadn't been run in two years but he always ran it dry before storing. Took it home, hooked up a hot battery and fresh fuel...it sat and idled like a new one....