Fall plots in

beard&bow

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Was going to plant yesterday, but our rotary tiller has a bad seal. The previous owner unknowingly wound about 4ft of coated wire around tine shaft where it meets the gears. Got the wire out, and gear oil followed. Instead, I tried to get to the field we haven't seen, so I could mow it. No go. Old road to it washed out at the bottom of the hill. Today I used the fel and scrape blade to disturb the earth as much as possible in the 1/3 acre and 1/2 acres spots I have mowed. Then hand spread ladino and crimson clover. Then ran over everything with the tractor. I hope they take. Did the best I could with what we have.

jug

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
if the seed can make contact with the soil the clover will germinate. Give it a month and you should see some germination. By 2nd month should be growing strong. Yeah I have had many a day screwed up. One of my guys that works for me went with me back in August up in Rockingham and he wasn't watching the rototiller and got so much debris tangled up that it burnt up the gears.

justwin24

Six Pointer
Good luck!!

I spent the past two days planting 4 different plots that are about an acre each. Tried the seed, spray, and roll method on one plot. On another I seeded, mowed, and sprayed. It didn't have as much thatch and the ground was soft enough I pushed a lot of seed in with my tractor and atv. The other 2 were done more traditional. Front coming in Wednesday!

useyourbow

Eight Pointer
Planted two weeks ago before the monsoon last week. Daikon radish, chicory, and clover blend. Took inventory today and good emergence from all three plant groups. Won't be enough growth for bow opener but already planned not to hunt it until the first of November anyway.

IMG_3507.jpg

beard&bow

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
if the seed can make contact with the soil the clover will germinate. Give it a month and you should see some germination. By 2nd month should be growing strong. Yeah I have had many a day screwed up. One of my guys that works for me went with me back in August up in Rockingham and he wasn't watching the rototiller and got so much debris tangled up that it burnt up the gears.

Thanks for the encouragement jug. I felt like everything was an exercise in futility. Thankfully, the previous owners spared no expense and put a set of teeth on the fel. I back-bladed some and I could have been a bit more aggressive, but I'm not about to accidentally distort hydraulic cylinders over food plots. These tillers are definitely finicky. I was lucky to notice the wire when I loaded it. I inspect everything to a fault.

Good luck!!

I spent the past two days planting 4 different plots that are about an acre each. Tried the seed, spray, and roll method on one plot. On another I seeded, mowed, and sprayed. It didn't have as much thatch and the ground was soft enough I pushed a lot of seed in with my tractor and atv. The other 2 were done more traditional. Front coming in Wednesday!

Thanks win, good luck to you too! I couldn't bring myself to spray because we've got so much good natural food in the area. The majority of what I mowed was blackberries and young persimmon trees dot the landscape. I'm hoping that the rain will set in what I couldn't.

I am so far behind. Work has had me traveling weekly since May.

There's always corn, Banjo. I'm definitely no objector. I've used it for the past 16 years. Just fortunate enough to be able to plant plots this year.

Planted two weeks ago before the monsoon last week. Daikon radish, chicory, and clover blend. Took inventory today and good emergence from all three plant groups. Won't be enough growth for bow opener but already planned not to hunt it until the first of November anyway.

View attachment 56611

Judging by those trees, that's no bow plot anyway, useyourbow. Lol. Nice looking ground you have there! That's got "family in a box blind" written all over it.
One of the best plots I've ever seen. Thanks for sharing.

hunthard2

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Glad you found a way to work it in. I am doing the spray, rake and seed method, myself. I sprayed nearly three weeks ago and that's the last Opportunity I've had to get up there. Hopefully this week...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

beard&bow

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Glad you found a way to work it in. I am doing the spray, rake and seed method, myself. I sprayed nearly three weeks ago and that's the last Opportunity I've had to get up there. Hopefully this week...

Thanks hunthard2. I hope you're able to get the seed in this week. Should be a bit of rain to come this evening, tomorrow, and potentially with the outer bands of Irma whenever she goes where ever she decides. Good luck to ya!

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
If you want some quick growth the deer will browse on, winter rye grain works

Good luck with your plots

Last edited:

beard&bow

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
If you want some quick growth the deer will browse on, winter rye grain works

Good luck with your plots

Thanks CRC, others have suggested that as well. Isn't that something I'd plant a little later though?

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
Usually but I have thrown it out in September before and had it grow.

Then again I am in the mountains.

lbksmom

Banned
I put mine in last week, sprayed two weeks ago, disc. then raked then cultipacked, threw out fertilizer then seed like you did then cultipacked again. This is the first year using cultipacker what a difference. In one week in sandy soil looks like yours. Good luck to all, still not too late.

getTwisted

Ten Pointer
You'll probably be just fine. I got my clover plots in saturday. I don't have a cultipacker so I just tilled the dirt with a 9 shank tiller and spread the seed over top of it. Got some rain that night and its already coming up. As long as you're getting some moisture you should be good to go with the process you took. I doubt moisture will be an issue especially since we both are hunting stokes and I'm seeing plenty of it, lol.

Last edited:

beard&bow

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Good luck to all,

Good luck to you too.

You'll probably be just fine. I got my clover plots in saturday. I don't have a cultipacker so I just tilled the dirt with a 9 shank tiller and spread the seed over top of it. Got some rain that night and its already coming up. As long as you're getting some moisture you should be good to go with the process you took. I doubt moisture will be an issue especially since we both are hunting stokes and I'm seeing plenty of it, lol.

It's amazing how fast that stuff takes. As I was leaving Tuesday, it started pouring down rain. Radar showed heavy rain up there into Wednesday. I think we got it down at a good time. Hoping the rain helped them into the soil. Around what area in Stokes are you hunting? We're up around Danbury.

getTwisted

Ten Pointer
Good luck to you too.

It's amazing how fast that stuff takes. As I was leaving Tuesday, it started pouring down rain. Radar showed heavy rain up there into Wednesday. I think we got it down at a good time. Hoping the rain helped them into the soil. Around what area in Stokes are you hunting? We're up around Danbury.

I'm close to King. Maybe 25 minutes from Danbury

beard&bow

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Lost my Spartan blade Sunday while checking cameras. Went back today, no dice. But!, the clover took! I'm happy about that. No doubt this rain helped more than I did.

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I'm getting ready to lay down some seed tomorrow. :D

Oats, Winter wheat, Crimson Clover, Daikon Radish, and just a little bit of Ladino clover.

7kAcl8El.jpg

Last edited:

MJ74

Old Mossy Horns
I havent been able to do anything and not sure I will this year. I normally try to plant small plots in September, but is early October to late?

sent from...... Tapatalk

hunthard2

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I havent been able to do anything and not sure I will this year. I normally try to plant small plots in September, but is early October to late?

sent from...... Tapatalk

My opinion is if little value since I have little experience but a friend planted 2nd week of October last year and had a great stand of wheat and crimson clover.

The ladino didn't take off and we thought it was dead until we checked on it this summer, it was thick as hair on a dogs back. Ymmv

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Early October is fine, just get it in as soon as you can.

With a decent rain, you can hunt over oats 2 weeks after planting.

newdeerhunter011

Eight Pointer
got my plots put in a couple weeks ago now they are looking good after all the rain. 6.5 acres of oats, winter peas, and clover.

Last edited:

beard&bow

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
You get yours in sky hawk?

How bout a pic newdeerhunter?

Found my blade, had ran over it a couple times. Still in good shape!0914171531-1.jpg

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Yeah, the first pallet got planted on Saturday, along with lime and 8 bags of triple 17. That's a pretty full day to get it disced, planted, fertilized, and packed down.

The second pallet is going in here at the house in the next week or so. Won't be worth taking pictures for about 4 weeks.

There was plenty of soil moisture. Too much in one location, but zero rain in the long term forecast. It'll be interesting to see what it does.