Baby Copperhead?

gaberelli

Button Buck
Was at Falls Lake today and saw this slither into a puddle. Is it a baby copperhead? I know it's a bad pic but can seem to make it out.

816586290315179b68005aae4f9e003c.jpg

Beautiful day to be there!

429e523a3b5f8358210fd943dbd6871a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gaberelli

Button Buck
Thanks! Was moving so fast it was hard to get a good look/shot.

roundball

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
This thread may have just taught me something.

I came on this snake hiking woods around Falls Lake...shot it with my phone.
It was about 4' long...thought it was a Copperhead...now I'm not sure.

The angle on the eye in the photo is not the best...anybody know for sure if this is a water snake or copperhead?

Kane_b

Six Pointer
Roundball that one is a copperhead all day. The flat lighter skin was a giveaway.

roundball

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
It sure matched up well with many Internet photos I was able to find at the time...

lasttombstone

Kinder, Gentler LTS
At a distance, if you aren't sure of the markings, head shape is the key. Venomous snakes have a triangular head which is very obvious. Non-venomous ones have an oval shaped head.

roundball

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Good looking rascal too...hiking along a well worn trail, looking around through the trees as I went with the occasional glance back down at the path...happened to glance down and see it just before my next stride would have darn near stepped on it :)

catfishrus

Twelve Pointer
Here is how I was told to tell the difference...on a copperhead the dark spots look like hersey kisses but on a water snake it is opposite..the kisses are upside down on the water snake.

Downeast

Twelve Pointer
You can almost see the pit on that rascal. Remember that all of our venomous snakes except the Coral Snake, which is so rare that it ain't really worth mentioning, are pit vipers. We only have 3 species of venomous snakes in NC to contend with; Copperhead, Cottonmouth, and Rattlesnake (pygmy, timber, diamondback all lumped together as rattlers). All the rest of our snake species are totally harmless.