escapee,,,,

BarSinister

Old Mossy Horns
Now if that tortoise could talk I would like to hear of his adventure during his holiday.

Glad you got him back.

NCST8GUY

Frozen H20 Guy
THis is truly a riveting thread!!! Wow!

So glad to read he'll be heading home. Kind of wish we could somehow interpret his journey. A gps view of it might be cool as well.

Congrats Woodmoose!!!

UncleFester

Old Mossy Horns
Yeah I wanna see pictures of the ole guy. Glad he made it back home, also glad you didn't play those mating sounds here on the forum....

took

Ten Pointer
Contributor
Glad he is back safe. Amazing that someone found him and actually took action knowing he was a pet and not a "wild" tortoise. :)

Last edited:

Eggman

Twelve Pointer
When is the tortoise rut? And folks question how far a buck goes! Glad he is home safe and sound!

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
Better get a gps tracking collar for it.

Get a tracker for that roaming romeo...

not that I beleive in premonitions (yeah right) but the very day (maybe moment) that he escaped, I was looking at the ATS telemetry website at their tracking devices (radio telemetry, not GPS) that attach to a tortoise. See I have one of their tracking boxes and some dog collars from my coon hunting days and was searching their website to see if they still maintained the sealed battery collars,,,,found the info on the devices that attach to a shell and thought "I should find out how much and get one",,,then go outside and he was gone,,,,,,

wife said "buy one"! so I guess my old system has a new purpose in life,,,,,,,,

picture below of Quasimodo,,,,"Quasi" for short,,,nothing for scale but he weighs right at 50 lbs right now,,,,,,,

quasimodo.jpg

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
neither did we,,,,the Big Guy took care of me, and thanks were lifted that's for sure!!

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
How do you keep him warm in the winter?

he has a 10x16 building built to suit him (insulated adn with 2x8s at the bottom as trim so he don't wear out the wall with his shell),,,,I have a heater in there for the winter, along with daylight bulbs (for UVA/UVB rays), plenty of sunlight from windows, etc,,,,he has the run of the yard when we are outside (and it's above 65 degrees) or he goes in a pen,,,,,he escaped from a temp pen he was in beciase a visiting dog was using the other larger/stronger pen,,,,,won't happen again as that tortoise rates above any dog to my wife and one scare was enough for her!!

we have a battery operated thermometer out there that reads in the house so we can monitor the temps,,,,,old fellow has it made,,,,,,except no girlfriend

Last edited:

Larry R

Old Mossy Horns
^^^^^^^Not a good idea. Just think of trying to keep up with a dozen just like him but smaller. LOL.

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
Wife has no interest in raising any,,,,and she's old fashioned some, she doesn't want to go out there with grand kids and have "tortoise business" going on!

Plus ones enough!