Bullets for Black Bear

JJWise

Twelve Pointer
What's everyone's favorite bear ammo? This will be my first year bear hunting, I'll probably take my 30-06 or 270. I'm guessing that I'll want something stronger than a standard soft point.

appmtnhntr

Twelve Pointer
Man. You should see the % of bears killed with 150 grain core lokts in 30:30

Ive always shot 150 grain core lokts in my 30-06 and have never had one walk away.

Shoot whatever you shoot deer hunting and you'll be fine

JJWise

Twelve Pointer
Shoot whatever you shoot deer hunting and you'll be fine

I've been handloading Hornady SSTs for deer season, 165s recently. I'm just a little afraid they expand too quickly, I've never hunted with them yet but have heard SSTs expand quicker than most soft points

JakeH

Four Pointer
Anything that works for deer will work for bear, they're not near as tough as most people think they are. If you want to use a premium bullet, and I honestly wouldn't blame you, then a Partition or A-Frame would be my choice.

MJ74

Old Mossy Horns
Since you already handload go ahead and load up some Nosler Partitions for your 30-06 and call it good.

sent from...... Tapatalk

appmtnhntr

Twelve Pointer
I've been handloading Hornady SSTs for deer season, 165s recently. I'm just a little afraid they expand too quickly, I've never hunted with them yet but have heard SSTs expand quicker than most soft points

You'll be fine. Them things aint tough to kill, as posted above...

I've seen them fall to a 22lr, 223, 243, bow, you name it...

Also seen dudes get the dogs in a crappy situation shooting a 300wm if they don't do their part...

Nock him in the noggin or tight right on the shoulder and you're in good shape... remember their heart/lungs is a bit farther forward that what you're used to with a deer...

(but with the SST, I wouldn't shoot him right on the shoulder quartering to you... you may drop him, but he's still gonna be gnashing them teeth for a bit, and might require another thump... Quartering away would be golden...)

LanceR

Six Pointer
Contributor
Just be sure that you spend a bit of time studying bear anatomy. The heart and lungs are not located the same as deer and are generally smaller than a deer that has the same amount of vertical body mass. And be aware that bear don't show as much of a blood trail as deer as the combination of subcutaneous fat plugging the wound(s) and thick fur reduce the amount of blood to track. Pretty much any standard deer load in will get the job done with a 270.

Lance

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
bear has a big heart,,,and it tastes good,,,just low and up front,,,,,,

most any deer caliber/bullet wll kill a bear if you can shoot,,,,and know anatomy as others have mentioned,,,,,,,,,

jbaldwin

Six Pointer
Not that tough but I use 200 gr Nosler partitons and a 300 win mag. Not looking a little bear as well. Want complete pass through and best blood trail as possible! Buddies that dog hunt shoot 338 shortened Browning bar to end thing fast. Yes many ones have been killed with a lot less. First one for me was a 505 that fell DRT to 308 and corelocks.

Mike Noles aka conman

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
I'd never advise anyone to shoot a bear in the shoulder. That shoulder blade is like armor. You might kill him, but the blood trail will be a bugger. Same thing with a head shot. Foolish shots, if you ask me, especially the head shot if it's a bear that you want to score. Shoot him just like you'd shoot a deer with a bow. Double lung him and he'll not go 50 yards. Anything that you shoot deer with will work for a black bear, but I'd not go with anything less than a .270. JMHO.

DaddyRat

Four Pointer
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
and that advice is golden considering the number of bears he has had a hand in killing.

RJ1

Ten Pointer
Not that tough but I use 200 gr Nosler partitons and a 300 win mag. Not looking a little bear as well. Want complete pass through and best blood trail as possible! Buddies that dog hunt shoot 338 shortened Browning bar to end thing fast. Yes many ones have been killed with a lot less. First one for me was a 505 that fell DRT to 308 and corelocks.

If you are still hunting them I agree with conman,tend to agree with jbaldwin when it comes to hunting them with dogs know alot of hunters that use 06's with 220 gr bullets, I like big bore rifles for dog hunting them.Double lung them when still hunting them for a good blood trail,I have found bear hit with less then ideal shots pack mud into the wound to stop the bleeding.I would also advise you that if you track one over 100 yards unless you have real good blood and it gets dark on you back out a wait until the next morning.

Last edited: