Vinyl siding repair question

Sharps40

Old Mossy Horns
So. I have some holes in vynal siding. I have some spare bits. Too short for replacement but....

If I cut neat patches.....

And since it's pvc....

Can I glue the patches on with pvc pipe primer and glue?

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
No, go to Lowes in the glue section. They have a two part glue that says for all plastics, PVC acrylic, etc. That stuff is much better. This stuff has saved my butt many times. IMG_0209.JPG

Last edited:

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
concur with nccatfisher,,,,love that two part epoxy,,,,,,plus I am visualizing that purple primer running down the side of the house!!!

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
mrs sharps40 would get you like this gorilla tape commercial if you go to that house with purple primer,,,,

[video=youtube_share;GlPVsPsCnBM]https://youtu.be/GlPVsPsCnBM[/video]

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I ran across that stuff trying to find something that would stick a cheater lens in my welding helmet. Man, I have found many uses since.

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
I have what my daughters always called my "glue drawer",,,have everything in there from elmers school glue and rubbber cement to jb Weld,,,,,and various epoxies,,,,,

I despise "super glue" types,,,,some folks like them, I don't,,,,,,,

and sharps,,,,stop shooting close to the house,,,,won't get them holes in the siding!!

Last edited:

Sharps40

Old Mossy Horns
I have what my daughters always called my "glue drawer",,,have everything in there from elmers school glue and rubbber cement to jb Weld,,,,,and various epoxies,,,,,

I despise "super glue" types,,,,some folks like them, I don't,,,,,,,

and sharps,,,,stop shooting close to the house,,,,won't get them holes in the siding!!

HA! Busted!!!!!!!

bigten

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Many times, the broken piece is inside the strip that's broken. Use a vinyl siding release tool and swing out the bottom of affected panel for access. If the broken piece is there, snap it back in place (or cut a replacement patch) and glue a holding section to the rear of that with generous overlap. Much less visible when done this way.

LanceR

Six Pointer
Contributor
So. I have some holes in vynal siding. I have some spare bits. Too short for replacement but....

If I cut neat patches.....

How short? If they are a couple of feet long you can make a repair that is a lot less visible then the glued on patches. Get a siding zip tool to unlock the locking hem above the damage, remove the damaged piece and cut the damage out. Now cut the patch 1-2" longer and if you have a factory edge on the same end as the rest of the siding is overlapped be sure to use that end and cut the end that will be hidden. Now cut the bottom locking hem to match the factory edge on both ends and reinstall the damaged piece. Then use a downhill scuffing motion on the upper piece to lock the hem you first opened. You may need to use the zipper to pull the locking hem down and start it. Then you should be able to lock the rest by the scuff/slap method.

There are a few sidings that are designed to be very wind resistant that are impossible or nearly impossible to unzip.

Lance

witler

Eight Pointer
I have used contact cement, also when cutting patch piece, make the cut at an angle to reduce shadow line.

Sharps40

Old Mossy Horns
No, go to Lowes in the glue section. They have a two part glue that says for all plastics, PVC acrylic, etc. That stuff is much better. This stuff has saved my butt many times. View attachment 13760
I used it today. 8 patches. That's great glue. Scuffed the surfaces and mixed it on the back of each patch. Dayum! Great glue. It grabs good and in 30 mins it's like they are welded on. I think the repairs are gonna stay put. No more holes now. So. Should keep my house dry a few more years till I can get the steel roof and new siding all done at once. Thanks!

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I have actually used it for the "greasy" plastic that it seems nothing will stick to. It will even bond it. It is a very handy home remedy. I make sure I have it on hand all the time. Glad it worked for you.