Flathead fishing question

mumbo_Pungo

Banned
So me and my friend have found a couple decent flathead holes on multiple rivers this summer. We usually set up an hour or two before dusk and fish till 11-12. One common thing in all our spots, no matter what river, is that we dont usually get a bite after 11. Most of our bites always happen between 9-10 pm. I figure this is probably because the fish are becoming active and starting to move around in the hole or heading out to feed. This past weekend we waited all the way till 2 am but got nothing after 10 pm. What do you guys think is the issue? Should we be moving to a flat around 11 and give up on the hole?

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Flatheads move into shallow water chasing bait after dark, a good place is where a creek feeds into the main river and makes a delta...or that has been my experience at least. They hole up in the darkest deepest hole with structure during the daylight hours and will lay right next to a stump or log for hours without moving, just waiting on bait to swim by. A good fish finder is invaluable finding big flatheads during the daytime.

Mack in N.C.

Old Mossy Horns
I can tell you on the two rivers I fish the most there is a good bite right at dark , then one around 11 or 12, then one around 3 am. 3 am is when I have caught some really good ones but I usually don't stay out that long any more. when I was younger I would stay to right after daylight , then come home and sleep half the day.

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I catch just as many or more during the day as at night, you just have to know where to look for them. Also the time of year (water temp) will impact where they will be. They will be just as active during they day as night at certain temps.

jenkinsnb

Ten Pointer
I catch just as many or more during the day as at night, you just have to know where to look for them. Also the time of year (water temp) will impact where they will be. They will be just as active during they day as night at certain temps.

That's also my experience. If you see me catfishing at night, it's most likely because I don't feel like fighting the daytime crowds. Not because I think there's a better bite at night.

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
That's also my experience. If you see me catfishing at night, it's most likely because I don't feel like fighting the daytime crowds. Not because I think there's a better bite at night.
Exactly, if I am lake fishing in the summer yes, I will night fish just to beat the jet skis and pontoon boats, but not because of the bite. I seldom fish the river at night. Fall I almost exclusively fish during the day. I like to fish in the evenings but the insects will absolutely carry you off where I fish the lakes up here in the fall.

mumbo_Pungo

Banned
You guys care to share your daytime tactics? Typically I hear about people fishing log jams during the day. Do you guys fish the upstream side, downstream side, or straight down in the log jams? Also, how deep do these log jams need to be. The section I fish is pretty shallow. A lot of the log James are in 2-4 feet of water. (Probably 4-6 feet right under the jam) Is this doable during the day?

I plan on doing more daytime fishing in the fall and spring. To hot for me to be out there in the middle of the day during summer.

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Upstream right next to it, as far as depth deeper than surrounding areas is better. If most of the surround water is 5' deep if you can find structure in 8' or better that would be a likely place.

GSOHunter

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I had someone tell me that the only way you can catch flatheads is with live bait or natural dead bait. I frequently catch them deep trolling crank baits.

mumbo_Pungo

Banned
I had someone tell me that the only way you can catch flatheads is with live bait or natural dead bait. I frequently catch them deep trolling crank baits.

Ive heard of people catching them on soft plastics in the winter, and crank baits in bigger river systems. In the rivers i fish you cannot troll baits. would probably work in the deeper lakes of nc though.

Also, cut bait is just as good as if not better in the spring for flatheads imo.

Last edited:

GSOHunter

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Ive heard of people catching them on soft plastics in the winter, and crank baits in bigger river systems. In the rivers i fish you cannot troll baits. would probably work in the deeper lakes of nc though.

Also, cut bait is just as good as if not better in the spring for flatheads imo.
I rig up my crankbaits on a santee cooper rig with breakaway sinkers. I can bounce the bottom of some pretty gnarly areas without getting a permanent hangup.

mumbo_Pungo

Banned
I rig up my crankbaits on a santee cooper rig with breakaway sinkers. I can bounce the bottom of some pretty gnarly areas without getting a permanent hangup.

the section of river i mainly fish is usually less than 2 ft in most areas. The small 5-10 ft wide channel is usually only 3-4 ft. A deep hole in this section is anything over 6 feet. and the channel is usually filled with trees and what not. In fact we only use kayaks on this section. Have never seen a motorized boat except once on this section.

GSOHunter

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
the section of river i mainly fish is usually less than 2 ft in most areas. The small 5-10 ft wide channel is usually only 3-4 ft. A deep hole in this section is anything over 6 feet. and the channel is usually filled with trees and what not. In fact we only use kayaks on this section. Have never seen a motorized boat except once on this section.

Yeah that is way to shallow to try it out.

mumbo_Pungo

Banned
image.jpgIMG955515.jpg

Both these fish were caught on the section of river i described above. There is a 10 foot hole in one the bends that holds some woody structure as well. The smaller one is 37lb's and was my first flathead over 30lb's. The bigger one is 45lb's and my first over 40lb's. Caught them on two different nights this summer. Hoping to get in the 50lb club within the year.

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
in those small river holes, how many of these beasts would live there.

when you catch a couple do you move on or are there likely many more in the hole?

great pics mumbo pungo. Pretty fish as well.

at your age you definitely need to roll on them at night, just to get it out of your system if nothing else. that night stuff is a young man's game.

mumbo_Pungo

Banned
in those small river holes, how many of these beasts would live there.

when you catch a couple do you move on or are there likely many more in the hole?

great pics mumbo pungo. Pretty fish as well.

at your age you definitely need to roll on them at night, just to get it out of your system if nothing else. that night stuff is a young man's game.

I'd say there is probably only one or two of this size a couple 25's a couple 15's and some smaller ones. We never catch more than one 25 and up in a single night out of that particular hole.