Plant Identification

useyourbow

Eight Pointer
What is this called? I have seen deer browse on it but not readily. Meaning there is plenty of it but doesn't bare signs of extensive browsing.
IMG_3496.jpg
IMG_3497.jpg

para4514

Eight Pointer
Contributor
Sericea lespedeza. Spreads aggressively, suppresses beneficial plants and difficult to get rid of once established.

lasttombstone

Kinder, Gentler LTS
I try to leave a goodly amount as edge in many areas. Not only does it provide a natural cover for deer, young turkeys, quail and rabbits, it is an excellent food source for the small game as well. Just make sure to mow it back every couple of years as it will grow very tall and develop a woody stalk eventually.

Downeast

Twelve Pointer
Thanks goes to DOT and the NCWRC. They dumped it out by the ton many years ago and you will now find it growing just about everywhere. The NCWRC had a welfare program many years ago that provided seed mixes to anyone that asked. And most importantly, it was "FREE". Many backyard birds can thank their cute little lives during the winter months as housewives filled their feeders with "FREE" state grown wildlife mixes. And for the sportsmen it was a Godsend! All one had to do was request a few bags of Sericea or VA-70 (the horror!!) and plant a 1/8 acre plot on your land and reap the bounty of countless quail, rabbits, deer, moose, turkeys, geese, ducks, bears, zebras, elephants....it was simply magical! :greenjump:

para4514

Eight Pointer
Contributor
And don't forget the extensive promotion of Sericea as a forage crop in the past (and still in some states). Agree that some folks with good intention promoted Sericea as a quick and easy fix. It is certainly difficult to not be successful if you are trying to get it established and easy to fail if you are trying to get rid of it.

As far as food and cover value many native species provide better cover and food for critters.

boomer

Twelve Pointer
Provides great cover for fawns, turkeys and rabbits. I have it planted on some of my power line and on some paths on my land, it has been there for years. When it got out of control I sprayed it with strong round up and it was pretty much gone.

remingtonman

Four Pointer
It can live in the Seed bank for along time also. Definitely hard to eliminate. It's tough on a rabbit dogs eyes also

jug

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
sericea lespedeza. grows where the soil is acidic and stays acidic