Yesterday was a good afternoon to fish.

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
Picked up some cats and bluegill yesterday.
Sure was a lot of fun. First weekend in a long time it have been nice to sit outside.

Attachments

• 20170826_190758-2.jpg
    20170826_190758-2.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 239
  • 20170827_165852.jpg
    20170827_165852.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 239

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
He was 12"
one of the larger ones I have ever got.

That thing went after the night crawlers, thought is was a cat but started darting left and right.

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
Would you mind telling what your rig was and how deep they were??? Thanks!!

About 15 to 18 feet of water on gaston back in a cove.

Was fishing a carolina rig, using cut bait I had, worms, stink bait, and live bait as I could catch it.

Got 2 big ones on live bait. Several of all size and one bigger one on stink, rest on worms and cut bait.

About 1/2 oz weight, 12 to 14" line on carolina rig.
Used a float on them some about 7" from hook.

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
One thing that was a catch for say of a life time.....

I got a 16" to 18" cat. Little skinny so I let him go.
You could feel him pick it up. He grabbed it pop, pop, pop....
The started swimming and it stopped, rod bent over could feel movement and could see the line tracking in the water. But it was like a log... Or like a really big salt water fish that does not know or care that its hooked.

Then it started moving a little more but not much just a few feet. At that point I could feel like something was on it and just let go. This cat came in like it wanted out of the water. It was all chewed up. Head scraped up fins ripped and marks all over it ...

My guess was he was looking at the bait about the same time as something bigger and after he got the bait something bigger got him. It was not stuck on anything because it was moving a little all the time. My guess is that a bigger cat in the range of 50 to 60 or more got him from the feel.

Last edited:

catfishrus

Twelve Pointer

I got a 16" to 18" cat. Little skinny so I let him go.
You could feel him pick it up. He grabbed it pop, pop, pop....
The started swimming and it stopped, rod bent over could feel movement and could see the line tracking in the water. But it was like a log... Or like a really big salt water fish that does not know or care that its hooked.

Then it started moving a little more but not much just a few feet. At that point I could feel like something was on it and just let go. This cat came in like it wanted out of the water. It was all chewed up. Head scraped up fins ripped and marks all over it ...

My guess was he was looking at the bait about the same time as something bigger and after he got the bait something bigger got him. It was not stuck on anything because it was moving a little all the time. My guess is that a bigger cat in the range of 50 to 60 or more got him from the feel.

That was Ol' Nessy...you would of never landed her on such lite equipment.

PS congrats on your catch.

Last edited:

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
Fishing where I was... I just use light tackle. Think the rods are med 6 foot with Penn 3500 SS and a few with 4500.

May need to start taking my heavy gear. Most all that I catch there was in the 15 to 20lb max but you never know when the big one will hit.

Blackwater

Twelve Pointer

My cousin and I hauled in a 57lb flathead on a limb hook 3 years or so ago which had swallowed an 18" blue that was already on the hook. It was long enough that about 1.5" of his head was still sticking out into it's maw yet most of the skin had already been dissolved by stomach acid. That was one PO'ed flathead, took both of us to drag him into that little Creek boat.

Last edited: