Inoculating

beard&bow

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I've been doing a lot of reading about planting clover, but came across something I've not seen mentioned here. Do you guys inoculate your seeds before you plant them?

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
It depends on the type clover , some comes pre-inoculated.
I always used a soda poured into the seed in a 5 gallon bucket. Mix until all the seed has had contact with that sugary stuff and then pour the innoculent into the bucket and start stirring.
That method pretty much ensures that every seed is treated.

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
The dust inoculant doesn't bother me. I just buy it and put it and the seed in a plastic container and put a lid on it and shake it around real well then put it in the seeder.

beard&bow

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
That lid sounds key. I don't feel like inoculating my lungs.lol. What pound per acre do yal seed? I've read anywhere from 3-5lbs to 25-30lbs.

Change 5347 to the plot(s), I may only use crimson this fall then seed ladino in the spring for a returning plot. I like the growth rate and abuse that I read crimson can take. And really want thick stands this fall/winter. Still plan to overseed with rye or wheat.

25contender

Twelve Pointer
I really like ladino and have great luck with Pennington. It is preinoculated. Ladino or white clover is best planted in mid to late September. I wont even plant it in the spring anymore.

Last edited:

beard&bow

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
5348- Ladino will be the majority, with crimson thrown in. Thanks for adding your experience. What lb per acre do you suggest? Many readings, websites, and experts say different numbers.