Startn Fall plantings today

jug

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Went up to Northern Rockingham county this morning and planted an acre of crimson clover with
a half acre of wheat, chicory and purple top turnips.
Took advantage of the cool weather today, been raining a lot all spring and summer this year. Probably wont rain again anytime soon knowing my luck.
Still too warm down here in Harnett and Scotland county to be planting.
Anybody else planting up near Virginia this week?

Last edited:

beard&bow

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Mowed for a couple hours today. Didn't have too much time. We're about 5 miles from the va line. I'm going to til this week and hopefully have my clover on the ground by weeks end. I don't have a disc, but will only be tilling an inch or two. I'm going with a 1:3 mix of crimson and ladino. I'll throw some winter rye out in a couple of weeks. I hope I'm doing it right.lol.

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Mowed for a couple hours today. Didn't have too much time. We're about 5 miles from the va line. I'm going to til this week and hopefully have my clover on the ground by weeks end. I don't have a disc, but will only be tilling an inch or two. I'm going with a 1:3 mix of crimson and ladino. I'll throw some winter rye out in a couple of weeks. I hope I'm doing it right.lol.
Just make sure you use rye grain, not grass.

jug

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I am less than 3 miles from the Virginia line. I don't know what it is but for some reason that area I am in will get dry up there and stay dry till November. Every Fall I cant buy rain for my foodplots up there close to Virginia but down near Stokesdale and south of Madison , the folks in that part of Rockingham county will get rain.
Winter rye is better than rye grass but I will use annual ryegrass. The deer and turkeys love it too.

Last edited:

beard&bow

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Just make sure you use rye grain, not grass.

Thanks nccatfisher.

I am less than 2 miles from the Virginia line. I don't know what it is but for some reason that area I am in will get dry up there and stay dry till November. Every Fall I cant buy rain for my foodplots up there close to Virginia but down near Stokesdale and south of Madison , the folks in that part of Rockingham county will get rain. Winter rye is better than rye grass but I will use annual ryegrass. The deer and turkeys love it too.

It may have something to do with the Sauratown range. I've watched it break up storms coming from the west. One storm looks like it turns into two. One half will go south of Walnut Cove, the other just north, and follow the river into Madison. I hope you get some rain this year. If you don't, odds are I didn't either. We'll suffer together.

MJ74

Old Mossy Horns
I looked at my little clover plot today and the weeds have taken it over.
I only found a couple of spots that still had clover in it. I hit it with the weed eater and there was more clover there than I thought.
I cleared out a larger area and now that the weeds are cut back Ill give it a couple of weeks and see what it looks like but probably gonna have to start over.

sent from...... Tapatalk

nchawkeye

Old Mossy Horns
Depending upon how wet it is, my brothers want me to come home over Labor Day weekend and get some plots ready...Seems they still rely on older brother to show them how to run a tractor... ;)

25contender

Twelve Pointer
I mow mine 4-5 times a summer to keep the weeds down. If you can do that your plot will flourish. I normally reseed in late September where needed.I also spray for grasses once or twice a year.
I looked at my little clover plot today and the weeds have taken it over.
I only found a couple of spots that still had clover in it. I hit it with the weed eater and there was more clover there than I thought.
I cleared out a larger area and now that the weeds are cut back Ill give it a couple of weeks and see what it looks like but probably gonna have to start over.

sent from...... Tapatalk

Last edited:

MJ74

Old Mossy Horns
I might just bushog it and spray it and see whats left.
If it looks okay I'll just add to the size of the plot, if not I'll just disc and start over. It's only about 1/8 of a acre anyway.

sent from...... Tapatalk

slickhead

Spike
Jug,

You should have gotten some rain last night / this morning in Rockingham County. I know we did about 7 miles east of you.

beard&bow

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Danbury did too. I drove up 220 today into Virginia and the grounds were a little soggy. I'm with slickhead. You got your rain, jug. Good call on the planting time.