Where to buy black powder near Asheville?

I need to resupply, and I can't shoot pellets in my flintlock. Looking for a local place to buy 4F and 2F powder, and striking out royally. I live in Black Mountain and work in Asheville. Any recommendations?

roundball

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I need to resupply, and I can't shoot pellets in my flintlock. Looking for a local place to buy 4F and 2F powder, and striking out royally. I live in Black Mountain and work in Asheville. Any recommendations?
Shame you're not closer to Raleigh...I have a lot of excess Goex 2F, 3F, 4F

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
Might call or check the Field and Stream store at the Asheville Outlets if you haven't

Frostcat

Twelve Pointer
Bob's Sports Store in Waynesville has black powder. They are across the street from WalMart

Last edited:

drhunter1

Four Pointer
Check Morrisons in Enka Candler. It's About a half mile from the new mall. He usually has a good variety

I ended up buying online. I called around and found a lot of pyrodex, but not real black powder. The flintlock is picky. I at least need the fine stuff for the flash powder and/or to start pyrodex combustion.

D. Buck Stopshere

Six Pointer
If buying online, go to Powder, Inc in Clarksville, AR. You can have a 5 lb, 10 lb or 25 lb case shipped right to your door. The more you buy, the cheaper the price per pound, which includes shipping and HazMat charges. We split a 25 lb case between nine people, and I believe, Schuetzen (German) was around $16, GOEX around $18, and Swiss, (my choice) around $23 per pound. Again these prices include the shipping and HazMat. (877) 833-1799. Nice folks, just give them credit card info, and within five days, FedEx-Grd or UPS-Grd will be at your door, asking for your signature.

Since you are in Asheville, there is muzzleloading club in the area, "The French Broad Rifles". They usually get together to order a case or two. You might be able to get with them on next order. Nice club. They shoot twice a month. Believe they have also a Spring and Fall Shoot. One of the most popular is the "Woods Walk". A trail through the woods with flags indicating shooting stations, which may have a paper target or a swinging iron gong or a tip-over iron silhouette. About fifteen "targets" in all. Really draws a lot of traditional hunters to that event, Public is invited to look in or participate.

Last year, they had a gorgeous hand-made flint longrifle being raffled off, and a local lady here had the winning ticket. She has a standing offer from me for $2,500 whenever she wants to let it go.

Give a call to Robert Rolfe at (828)620-1253 or muzzleloader@frenchbroadrifles.com. Their website is www.frenchbroadrifles.com

Nice bunch of hunters and target shooters.

Buck Buchanan
Field Rep-NC
NMLRA