Western NC Catfishing?

Scalf

Eight Pointer
Hey guys, just wondering if there is any decent catfishing west of Charlotte? Preferably rivers... I have a kayak and most lakes are pretty daunting to paddle super far on lol. I live around lake James and have caught a few in the rivers feeding it, but never caught many. My best here was a 10 pound flatty a couple weeks ago on a gob of crawlers! Lol. Not looking for honey holes, just general areas.

Thanks in advance!
Ryan

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
I didn't think there were flatheads in Lake James, just blue cats and channel cats.

The Nolichucky/Toe River has some nice channel cats.

So does the French Broad.

The Green River below Lake Adger has white cats and bullheads..

Lake James is the only place in the mountains I know of with a viable blue cat population.

Last edited:

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
There are flatheads in Fontana, I have caught them. But if you are wanting to catch bigger fish primarily you need to use bait accordingly.

Scalf

Eight Pointer
Oh yeah there are definitely flatheads in James. The problem isn't that James doesn't have cats, but more of not having a good enough population Imo. I will have to check out those other rivers you mentioned.
And yeah I usually throw small bream or cutbait when catfishing, but the day I caught the flathead, the river was blown out and I couldn't buy a bite from a bluegill, so I said screw it and threw a gob of crawlers. low and behold, 2 minutes in front of the log jam and fish on!! Lol

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
It seems flatheads are everywhere now. They are native to some rivers but not others

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
They get a lot of help moving, just like many other fish. Only difference with them is they are much more prolific than most that get help. They usually survive and ultimately thrive.

T-Rock

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Not a river but the Oxford wildlife access on Lake Hickory offers pretty decent catfish. Put in at the ramps and paddle the shoreline in the opposite direction of the dam. Look right, and you'll notice a ton of rip rap along the grassy point to your right. *Honey hole tip - fish the area around the buoy, it won't disappoint, and its only a 5 minute paddle. Roughly 20-30 yards out from the buoy towards the dam, it drops from 8'-11' to 80'-85'. Up on the ledge is where we usually fish.
On average, below is what you'll normally get when the bite is on, primarily from 6pm till 10:30pm or so. Good luck!
10336779_10152431056678905_2407522704427050683_n.jpg

Scalf

Eight Pointer
Not a river but the Oxford wildlife access on Lake Hickory offers pretty decent catfish. Put in at the ramps and paddle the shoreline in the opposite direction of the dam. Look right, and you'll notice a ton of rip rap along the grassy point to your right. *Honey hole tip - fish the area around the buoy, it won't disappoint, and its only a 5 minute paddle. Roughly 20-30 yards out from the buoy towards the dam, it drops from 8'-11' to 80'-85'. Up on the ledge is where we usually fish.
On average, below is what you'll normally get when the bite is on, primarily from 6pm till 10:30pm or so. Good luck!
View attachment 56407

Thanks T Rock! Sounds like an awesome spot and not too far of a drive. I may be heading out there this coming week or next weekend. Thanks for the help buddy

darkthirty

Old Mossy Horns
Cast net some stonerollers and either freeline'em or carolina rig'em with a 1/2oz barrel weight. Go to the pigeon or French broad. Find pools at the end of long riffles and runs and hang on. Teaser..........cats aren't the only fish you'll catch.........

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
If I lived anywhere close I would try that. When a man that fishes for a living or part of his living is fishing I listen to what he says if I want to catch fish.

Last edited:

Justin

Old Mossy Horns
..... stone rollers are crack to a lot of things.... with teeth, and without. One of the biggest channel cats I've seen came from the Holston River on the EXACT scenario darkthirty described.

darkthirty

Old Mossy Horns
..... stone rollers are crack to a lot of things.... with teeth, and without. One of the biggest channel cats I've seen came from the Holston River on the EXACT scenario darkthirty described.

We needed about 10 smallmouths from the FB for a pathology project the vet school was partnering with the wildlife and fisheries dept with. Myself and another guy waded out with about 25 stonerollers apiece. Standard procedure, we caught more than enough smallmouths (and my first smallie over 20") but the thing I remember about that day the most was the channel cat we caught. We lost count how many channels we caught. And you wanna talk about a good fight! I don't care what nobody says, a 5-7lb river channel catfish is like hooking into freight train using 2000-2500 sized spinning reels with a 7' ultralight rod!!!
And to top that, we caught 35-40 fish total in about 3 1/2 hrs and we were standing in the same spot fishing the same hole the entire time! I would say that was just a lucky day, but truth be told, there's places all up and down the French broad and pigeon you could do that. I'd give the pigeon the edge over the FB though!

Last edited:

darkthirty

Old Mossy Horns
What is a stone roller? I apologize in advance for the stupid question!

It's not a stupid question at all. Ever since the great Photobucket debachle of 2017, I can't figure out how to post pics anymore or I'd show you a picture. When you walk up to streams in western NC or here, and you see the small fish that are flashing when the sun hits the water, that's them.

Last edited:

Boojum

Ten Pointer
What is a stone roller? I apologize in advance for the stupid question!

A type of horney head. The Pigeon and French Broad both have good populations of channels in places, and flatheads here and there. Not very many flatheads in the Pigeon until you get way downstream toward the lake. Fontana and the Little T is full of flatheads and channels, and the occasional white catfish. Junaluska has plenty of bullheads and a few channels. The lower Tuckaseegee has flatheads and channels.

A good place to kayak for channel cats is Lake Julian in south Asheville.

Last edited:

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
We needed about 10 smallmouths from the FB for a pathology project the vet school was partnering with the wildlife and fisheries dept with. Myself and another guy waded out with about 25 stonerollers apiece. Standard procedure, we caught more than enough smallmouths (and my first smallie over 20") but the thing I remember about that day the most was the channel cat we caught. We lost count how many channels we caught. And you wanna talk about a good fight! I don't care what nobody says, a 5-7lb river channel catfish is like hooking into freight train using 2000-2500 sized spinning reels with a 7' ultralight rod!!!
And to top that, we caught 35-40 fish total in about 3 1/2 hrs and we were standing in the same spot fishing the same hole the entire time! I would say that was just a lucky day, but truth be told, there's places all up and down the French broad and pigeon you could do that. I'd give the pigeon the edge over the FB though!

that sounds like a fine work assignment to me. I be jealous. :)

YanceyGreenhorn

Still Not a Moderator
I fish the toe/Nolichucky for smallies and trout all the time. Had no idea I could pull cats outta there but I also never was rigged up to do so. Maybe I’ll give it a shot. Any suggestions?

YanceyGreenhorn

Still Not a Moderator
I didn't think there were flatheads in Lake James, just blue cats and channel cats.

The Nolichucky/Toe River has some nice channel cats.

So does the French Broad.

The Green River below Lake Adger has white cats and bullheads..

Lake James is the only place in the mountains I know of with a viable blue cat population.

I fish the toe/Nolichucky for smallies and trout all the time. Had no idea I could pull cats outta there but I also never was rigged up to do so. Maybe I’ll give it a shot. Any suggestions?

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
Sliding sinker rig with circle hook of your choice is what I use for river cats

Night crawlers and chicken livers have worked for me

Live crayfish for the bigger fish

There are also some big muskies in the Noli as well

Others might have other rigs that can work in mountains rivers

Last edited:

YanceyGreenhorn

Still Not a Moderator
I really appreciate it. Might load up the dogs and head down there. Caught a pretty big smallie out there last week. I posted pics somewhere on here lol

Frenchy

Button Buck
There are some decent channels in Nantahala, fished there a year and a half ago for a week for Kokes ......saw 1 trot line and a couple nice cats floatin