So which one of you have seen this before?

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
this forum is much fun it that whatever the topic someone has "been there done that"

have any of you seen a swimming turkey before? I had not but saw a post on bass boat central that led to this link.

How about it, has anyone ever saw a wild one swim?

here's a tame one swimming so i guess a wild one will if they need to.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lR0Qu4Ggjlw

Tom Kelly has a very great tale of wrestling one in a beaver pond, his daughter's first hunt but I dont think it got to swim. :)

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
never have seen them sail over water and wade in swamps but never swim I would be shocked if wild one would even try to swim would leave them too vulnerable to predators they need feet on ground to take off for quick get away either it be to t run or fly and Lord knows they are always looking to escape

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
the topic came up when a fisherman saw a wild one swimming. the video is obviously a tame one.

i have seen them do some strange stuff but not swim. :)

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
One thing for sure the wild is the wild and the more time you spend in it the crarzier things you'll see

Luv2Boutdoors!

Ten Pointer
I have seen one swim before. Good story....

Was fishing on land, in a small cove at falls lake when I heard leaves russelling, looked up and saw a turkey running right at me, she was about ~40 yards away. Well, behind her was a gray fox chasing her. She went right into the water and started swimming like a duck just as the fox lunged at her baring teeth and claws! I thought wow, turkeys swim like ducks. Then I thought it would be a good idea to try to scare the turkey toward the fox....but as soon as the fox realized i was there it was GONE!! Turkey didnt seemed as spooked. AH! the great outdoors!

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
gentlemen, gentlemen,,,,that's obviously one of them high dollar "turduckens" you can get in Louisiana and such,,,,,,,

jug

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Lovett Williams says wild turkeys can swim in one of his books that I have.