Muzzy small game points legal for small game?

lasttombstone

Kinder, Gentler LTS
I will guess this is another instance where the rules leave room for guessing. The regs give specifics as to fixed and mechanical opening broadheads are legal for deer, bear and turkey but does not say they are not legal for small game. Then it says that blunt type points are legal for small game. For someone who is overly cautious about regulations may take those statements to mean that only what is listed is legal in each instance. On the other hand, some will read it as, if it doesn't say I can't, then I must be able to. Do it and as forgiveness if you feel it is ethical.

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
why wouldn't they be?

I read the regulations booklet wrong.

Particularly this phrase

Blunt-type arrowheads may be
used in taking small animals and birds, including but not limited
to, rabbits, squirrels, quail, grouse, pheasants.

The Muzzys don't have a blunt head

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
I will guess this is another instance where the rules leave room for guessing. The regs give specifics as to fixed and mechanical opening broadheads are legal for deer, bear and turkey but does not say they are not legal for small game. Then it says that blunt type points are legal for small game. For someone who is overly cautious about regulations may take those statements to mean that only what is listed is legal in each instance. On the other hand, some will read it as, if it doesn't say I can't, then I must be able to. Do it and as forgiveness if you feel it is ethical.

Exactly how I was reading it.

For years I have used blunt point judo heads but the Muzzy heads look interesting and I was thinking of giving them a try.

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
Doesn't say only or cannot

Have shot small game while deer hunting - at no time felt I was acting contrary to the law

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
Why bother then to confuse the issue with the language about blunt type heads?

Buxndiverdux

Old Mossy Horns
Technically a Muzzy small game head is a blunt. But I don't see how a blunt head is any more effective than a regular field point. If both points hit vitals, animals die. If both points hit non lethal areas, you have a non lethal wound. Big Game heads produce the exact same results.

I doubt there is a game warden alive that would write a ticket for a Muzzy small game head being "illegal" for small game.

Last edited: