Asking permission....How should I do it?

fowlplay'n

Twelve Pointer
So i've located a small 50 acre tract of land near my home that borders an area I have hunted in the past. I've always liked the looks of this property and last year saw quite a bit of game over there from the land I had permission to be hunting. I've researched the owner and he lives near Raleigh which is about an hour from this property. I'd like to ask him for permission to hunt the land but I'm not sure how to go about it in this situation. Do I mail a letter to the address listed for him on GIS and just hope he responds or do I drop by next time i'm in Raleigh and knock on his door? That seems a little bit stalker'ish to me and I wouldn't want to send the wrong message.

Has anybody ever been through this scenario before and were you successful in getting permission? I'm leaning towards writing him a letter but have no clue how to word it so that it doesn't get instantly thrown into the trash and I never hear from him again.

DFisher

Eight Pointer
Handwritten is always the way to go. if you type it, its probably going in the trash.

I agree. I also think a letter is the way to go; hunting him down and banging on the door will not work, IMO. I own a small piece of land, and I am not offended if someone sees me in the yard and stops in, but to drive an hour to find me, would be a little over the top. Prepare yourself for one thing though: you will probably not be the first one to ask to hunt this land, so have a point in mind that separates you from others. If I own the land, how will you convince me to let you hunt it, as opposed to others that I have already turned down?

1gonewrong

Six Pointer
DFisher makes some good points. Face to face is best under the right circumstances but I would not go to his house if he doesn't live on the land. Whatever your method of contact be sure do emphasize that you are an experienced, ethical hunter and will always abide by his rules. I have one 200 acre property I have had permission to hunt for years and the landowner has a specific place I am to park my vehicle and that place isn't convenient to where I usually hunt but I just do a little extra walking.

Jack's PA

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I also include a self addressed stamped envelope. I want to make it as easy as possible for him to respond. Even if it to say no, at least you know he got your letter and considered it.

wildcat3

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I was in a similar situation last year. Like you, I was afraid showing up randomly at someone's house would come across a little too much like a stalker. I wrote a letter or should I say typed out a letter. I explained who I was and where I lived and asking about permission, even offered to lease it. Never heard a word..Oh well, never know until you try. Hope you have better luck than I did.

Dan Apple

Old Mossy Horns
find a phone number and call. Chances of getting a reply from a letter are just above chances of winning the lottery....

lasttombstone

Kinder, Gentler LTS
I guess, in this situation, I too would write a letter expressing my desires and including some pertinent information about myself, including that you currently hunt the property of Mr. X, which borders him. I would ask if he could call you to discuss it, or, at his convenience, would like to meet him at a location and time of his choosing. Speak to the owner of the property you currently hunt and ask if it would be OK for Mr. X to call him about you and if permission was granted include his phone number along with yours. Got to ask so good luck.

Jake NFC

Twelve Pointer
If you are interested in leasing, explain that as well. Plus give references from others whose land you hunt. Offer to help police the area and lend a hand when work may be needed on it.

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
Good Luck.
I would try and find a neighbor or someone that actually knew the owner. if it is near you and he is an hour away you could help him possibly.
Taxes on fifty acres may be near what you would pay him to lease it. all kinds of things to say if you get the chance.

the letter and cold call are tough.

fowlplay'n

Twelve Pointer
All good advice! If I had his phone number I would certainly prefer that over a letter but that info isn't available via GIS and not sure how I could get his number. I think a hand written letter explaining who I am and how I could help to patrol and maintain his property (trash pickup, posted signs, etc) along with my phone number so he could easily reach me will be the best course.

I did look the name up on facebook and came up with one match from someone in Raleigh and wouldn't you know it, we have 1 mutual friend so if that individual turns out to be the land owner then I may have a leg up on others that have asked him previously.

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
All good advice! If I had his phone number I would certainly prefer that over a letter but that info isn't available via GIS and not sure how I could get his number. I think a hand written letter explaining who I am and how I could help to patrol and maintain his property (trash pickup, posted signs, etc) along with my phone number so he could easily reach me will be the best course.

I did look the name up on facebook and came up with one match from someone in Raleigh and wouldn't you know it, we have 1 mutual friend so if that individual turns out to be the land owner then I may have a leg up on others that have asked him previously.

network trumps blind requests. good for You.

lasttombstone

Kinder, Gentler LTS
Have you looked to see how many of the same name are in the Raleigh phone book. Many people, especially older folks, still list there. If the address is the same you have a phone contact.

buckshooter

Old Mossy Horns
I'm gonna go out of what been listed and say a ftf meeting would be the way to go. Call me old fashioned , but I think its always best to ask in person. Be respectful , introduce yourself , show the landowner you care about being honest an upfront to begin with. Just my thoughts.

If I were a landowner , it would mean much more to me than a letter. Letters , again to me , are sorta impersonal. Besides , the worst that could happen is he'll says no thanks. That's painless.

Good luck.

Last edited:

JayDB

Eight Pointer
If the landowner says "no", don't show any frustration/signs of being mad (towards them).

Almost always when folks have contacted me about hunting my farm and I tell them no, they get an attitude. Not only does that validate my decision, it ruins it for other folks who contact me in the future.

Muzzleodor

Eight Pointer
I'm surprised that people say they would throw a typewritten letter in the trash. It would seem much more professional to me. I imagine they are they same ones that type with one finger. I would agree best option is to find a neighboring landowner that knows the man in question or another mutual contact to approach him about the possibility. Second best would be a phone call and last is showing up on his porch, especially since he doesn't live on or near the land it would seem odd. I don't even like someone I know showing up on my porch randomly, forget strangers.

bryguy

Old Mossy Horns
As a landowner, I will tell you it gets old being asked for permission to hunt. I have offered to a few on this site but can tell you that the answer is no to anyone that just out of the blue contacts me. Just some food for thought.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DRS

Old Mossy Horns
I have contacted and got leases through phone calls. Face to Face or a phone for me. I usually ask around to see if any of the surrounding land owners know the owner(s) of the tract I'm interested in.

bilntime

Eight Pointer
If the landowner says "no", don't show any frustration/signs of being mad (towards them).

Almost always when folks have contacted me about hunting my farm and I tell them no, they get an attitude. Not only does that validate my decision, it ruins it for other folks who contact me in the future.

That's been my experience, as well.

Also not sure why any landowner in their right mind would want the liability risk associated with allowing strangers to hunt on their property.

appmtnhntr

Twelve Pointer
Yeah, the only letter I ever wrote didn't get returned...
Even included a stamped return envelope, offered trade access for ocean fish, jerky, etc., and didn't get a response

Couldn't track down a phone number for the guy... Absentee owner of a property in the mountains....(bordering NF)
And to boot.... I didn't even want to hunt on his property!!!!!! All I wanted was permission to drive up the mountain and park at the end of his road...

One of my all time favorite pieces of public ground to hunt on tippy top of a big mountain... Would have turned the normal 2hr hike up the frontside into a 20 minute stroll from the end of this guy's property...
Oh well... Every time I'm up there in the summer I try and see if there's a car at the cabin, but it hasn't happened yet...

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
I I imagine they are they same ones that type with one finger.

generalize much do ya?

I'm surprised that people say they would throw a typewritten letter in the trash. It would seem much more professional to me.

professionally written or not, you send me a letter and I don't know you - it's ending up in the trash,,,along with the letters from loggers and real estate folks,,,,,,,,,