Lawn Mowers...Need advice 1/2 Acre...Riding mower or no?

JONOV

Old Mossy Horns
Well, if everything goes as planned we'll be closing at the end of the month, and I'll need a lawnmower for the 1/2 acre yard. The lot is pretty flat and the yard is going to need some TLC to bring it back, but I'm ready for that.

I grew up on 1/3 acre lot. My Dad got tired of spending 2-3 hours with the lawn boy, and bought a Sarlo commercial walk behind, that would do the job in an hour. That was nice of him, since it saved me a lot of time as soon as I could reach the handlebars in 3rd grade.

I was talking to him, and I was surprised to hear him recommend a riding mower. My thought with the riding mower is that it will also require a walk behind and string trimmer to clean up the tight spots.

I really want a Toro Timemaster or Turfmaster, or a Sarlo with a 30 inch deck. However, the price is such that I can get a riding mower for the same price. My concern is that the longevity and maintenance will be worse on a riding mower.

Does anyone have any thoughts comparing the two? I have plenty of experience using every manner of walk behind and ride on mowers, but never owning or maintaining them (except the Sarlo.)

Also, any thoughts on engine companies to avoid? I've had positive experience with Briggs and Stratton, positive experiences with Honda, no experience with Kohler, Tecumseh, any of the others.

Anyone know of any good used equipment dealers within an hour of Raleigh?

Ldsoldier

Old Mossy Horns
That's about the minimum size yard I'd recommend a rider for. Personally I'd get a rider, but I'm lazy like that....lol

WolfpackHunter

Six Pointer
Contributor
I have an older 48" commercial walk behind with no velky. I got it for free and I mow .7 acres with it. It takes me 1/2 hour mowing in second gear. I like the exercise of walking behind it, but I wouldn't get any deck smaller than 42" if I was walking behind something and mowing more than 1/2 acre.

JONOV

Old Mossy Horns
I have an older 48" commercial walk behind with no velky. I got it for free and I mow .7 acres with it. It takes me 1/2 hour mowing in second gear. I like the exercise of walking behind it, but I wouldn't get any deck smaller than 42" if I was walking behind something and mowing more than 1/2 acre.

That might be the setup I need to look for.

nekkedducker

Ten Pointer
Check out Right of Way equipment in Raleigh. They are a Toro and Hustler dealer and may have some used stuff. Ill tell you Hustler makes a great home owner grade zero turn, on a half acre that mower will last forever. Engine wise, Kohler or Kawasaki. Briggs has really gone down hill lately, and it kinda breaks my heart. Thats all we used to run when i raced go karts as a kid.

cnmcalpi

I design mowers for a living. Id go with a 42-46 rider. Depending on how long you want it to last a big box store unit would probably suffice. Typically 350 hours or so design life (Good maintenance and wrenching skills will stretch this). Typical use is 50 hrs a year for a rural type person thats in the yard.

samuelrp

Eight Pointer
If you paid $50 each time for someone to mow it, and had to mow 28 times per season, you would pay out $2800 in two seasons. Get a big one.

302cj

Old Mossy Horns
I'm also lazy like someone else but mower prices are crazy. Anywhere from $800-$10,000. There's one for every budget. With a flat yard I would say a push/self propelled.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Soilman

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I'm absolutely cursed when it comes to a riding mower. I literally have 5 of them in my yard right now, and NONE of them are working. I have a 6th one at my place in Warrenton that I bought brand new last year. The first 3 months I had it, it was in the shop 3 times.

I just got done mowing half of a 1.25 acre yard with a 22" push mower. According to my pedometer, that was 3.3 miles of pushing a mower. I've decided to look at it as part of my exercise regime.

Last edited:

nchawkeye

Old Mossy Horns
I live on .47 acre, house is about 2,100 square feet, I use a Honda self propelled, 21 inch more, can cut and trim the whole yard in about an hour and a half with a Honda self propelled 21 inch mulching mower...I'm 62, used to have a rider but it simply wasn't worth it and frankly I need the exercise...No more than you will use it this year, get you the Honda self propelled mulching mower, if it takes longer than you want, buy a rider next year...

25contender

Twelve Pointer
I have a Gravely walkbehind and a riding lawnmower. I really like the way the Gravley cuts. It has a cleaner cut than my rider with new blades. That being said I mow right at 1 acre and this time of year the rider is king and the walk behind is king in cooler weather. I would suggest before you plant any trees ect. mow first and make sure you can get around everything ok especially with a rider. My moms yard kills me as I have to use a push mower because of planting things to close together in the yard.

JONOV

Old Mossy Horns
I live on .47 acre, house is about 2,100 square feet, I use a Honda self propelled, 21 inch more, can cut and trim the whole yard in about an hour and a half with a Honda self propelled 21 inch mulching mower...I'm 62, used to have a rider but it simply wasn't worth it and frankly I need the exercise...No more than you will use it this year, get you the Honda self propelled mulching mower, if it takes longer than you want, buy a rider next year...

Thanks, that's good to know. I can do 1.5 hours.

witler

Eight Pointer
Walk behinds are good exercise, one thing to consider is your age and health. If you get a good mower it should last into your years and by then walking behind a mower may be a bit much on a hot day. IMO, plan ahead, go with a rider.

ScottyB

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Hustler raptor sd.......3100 bucks 0% for 48 months....should last a lifetime and better than the toro timecutter

JONOV

Old Mossy Horns
Walk behinds are good exercise, one thing to consider is your age and health. If you get a good mower it should last into your years and by then walking behind a mower may be a bit much on a hot day. IMO, plan ahead, go with a rider.
I really hope my ability to walk outlasts the mower! I'm not yet 30.

I would buy whatever the wife is most comfortable using.

I certainly understand that, its always been a driving concern with my parents up north, that Mom can use the snowblower. She never mowed the lawn though, even when Dad traveled it was never more than a week. Once he had surgery but a neighbor helped.

Well, she's comfortable with either, but one reason I haven't asked my dad if I can take his old mower is that I don't think she could start it (that and transporting it.) I was a big kid, and was in 6th grade at least before I could get it running.

A close work friend who mows 2.5 acres told me "rent this fall, a different one every week, figure out what you want." In any case, I have a lot of work cutout for me getting the lawn nice.

Last edited:

Smitty010203

Twelve Pointer
I would factor in
a) do you have somewhere to put it like a garage
b) are you going to have to pull out a push mower anyway or can you do the entire yard with the riding mower.

I have .79 acres and I am extremely glad I got a riding mower. I also use mine for hauling crap around though.

hunter

Eight Pointer
Contributor
Hahaha, that's the one chore my wife refuses to do.

I actually have the opposite problem...... My wife wants to mow but the few times I let her after we got married it didn't end well. I looked out one evening about dusk and it looked like she was working a disk grinder on a piece of metal she was hitting so many rocks! She was throwing so many sparks we probably needed a burn permit from the NC Forest Service!

I fear my repair and maintenance time would exceed the time it takes me to mow! Not to mention having to replace the mower much more frequently! :)

Last edited:

JONOV

Old Mossy Horns
I would factor in
a) do you have somewhere to put it like a garage
b) are you going to have to pull out a push mower anyway or can you do the entire yard with the riding mower.

I have .79 acres and I am extremely glad I got a riding mower. I also use mine for hauling crap around though.

There is a shed, and a privacy fence with a gate to shield it from wandering eyes. With said privacy fence around the backyard, I plan to put a couple feet of mulch or stone around the inside perimeter to avoid having to weedwhack or mow up against the fence. I don't think there is anywhere so tight as to prevent getting a typical riding mower access...

Jay/NC

Eight Pointer
I recently bought a push mower for my .4 acre lot. Pretty good hill in the front yard. But I'm not worried about it; I taught Gman (11yo) how to mow. [emoji41]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

ScottyB

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I actually have the opposite problem...... My wife wants to mow but the few times I let her after we got married it didn't end well. I looked out one evening about dusk and it looked like she was working a disk grinder on a piece of metal she was hitting so many rocks! She was throwing so many sparks we probably needed a burn permit from the NC Forest Service!

I fear my repair and maintenance time would exceed the time it takes me to mow! Not to mention having to replace the mower much more frequently! :)

Sounds to me like she might have outsmarted you on the mowing deal.......I'll show him kinda thing!

darkthirty

Old Mossy Horns
Go as big as you can afford. The faster you get done, the faster your finished and the longer between mowing. I don't mind mowing but it ain't something I look forward to. As far as a walk behind to go with it, if I can't weedeat it, spray it or get it with the rider, it don't get mowed. Glyphosate is one of the best weedeaters ever made.

For engines......I've never had a single issue with anything Kawasaki.