Piggies

302cj

Old Mossy Horns
Is there a harvest map for last years kills? I know there not reported as big game harvest but has to be some kind of map for them. I'm not finding anything on google.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

302cj

Old Mossy Horns
Yeah I saw those but thought there would be a more recent one I was missing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wildlifer

Old Mossy Horns
you would think but it looks like there hasn't been much effort to keep up with it. Seems like it coincidences with the passage of night hunting and looser regs that they stopped monitoring.

PPosey

Twelve Pointer
No way to track harvest now, Numbers actually have dropped around here where I hunt in the past couple of years

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
They're not even showing any in Davidson and Davie and there have been in places several years. To the point they have been expanding bad.

Justin

Old Mossy Horns
They're not even showing any in Davidson and Davie and there have been in places several years. To the point they have been expanding bad.

2013 map and those pigs were there as far back as 05.... I won a foot race with an angry sow there once lol

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
2013 map and those pigs were there as far back as 05.... I won a foot race with an angry sow there once lol
Yeah, and I am pretty sure they have received supplemental implants also. If my memory serves me correct your foot race was actually Rowan, albeit right there close to where all three counties are within spitting distance.

There is also some of them in the lower end of that county also.

Last edited:

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
You should always hunt with a slower friend. ;)

How fast does an angry pig run?
Dang fast, and it will surprise you just how far they can run. The great big Hogzilla ones you see not so much. The 100# and up to 200# I have seen dogs put on them and wind up 5 miles before they bay up.

thelivecanary

Eight Pointer
This is going to be a really dumb question but here goes something...In a state like NC where hog farms are massively expansive and climate would be favorable for a hog and there seems to be plenty of crop lands...Why aren't there more wild hogs? Or are there but the number of reported hogs killed on hunts is vastly under-reported? Or I'm looking at the wrong data and there are tons of hogs and tons of kills you just don't know what you're looking at or how to read a data set? Or is this state a bit to far north for their home range?

Let me know because it seems odd to me.

Wildlifer

Old Mossy Horns
This is going to be a really dumb question but here goes something...In a state like NC where hog farms are massively expansive and climate would be favorable for a hog and there seems to be plenty of crop lands...Why aren't there more wild hogs? Or are there but the number of reported hogs killed on hunts is vastly under-reported? Or I'm looking at the wrong data and there are tons of hogs and tons of kills you just don't know what you're looking at or how to read a data set? Or is this state a bit to far north for their home range?

Let me know because it seems odd to me.

I just don't think they escape all that much. They live their life in a barn under some pretty tight controls. Every once and awhile you will see a pig killed that doesn't look to far removed from a domestic pig. It only takes a few generations for them to lose the color, grow hair ect and with pigs a few generations can be less than 2 years. I would say we have a moderate climate for pigs but certainly nothing like further south where they really thrive. Our landscape also plays a factor. You can see on those outdated maps what pockets of the state are suitable. Large ag fields, low wet areas, softer soil. The exception is the mountains which from most accounts have some kind of Russian boar, razorback blood in them.

cnmcalpi

New member here, hope I'm not stepping on any toes.

Looking for hogs, I'm in Lincoln County and have been looking around to no avail. I have contacted the District Ranger for this part of the state and hes telling me that 5 years ago he could steer me toward as many as I wanted to get but since the laws called them feral, they're just gone from the unregulated hunting.

Does anyone have any idea on where to start looking for hogs now that there's so much pressure on them?

I'd prefer the western part of the state as its closer to me, but if there's no chance I guess Ill have to travel.

thelivecanary

Eight Pointer
I just don't think they escape all that much. They live their life in a barn under some pretty tight controls. Every once and awhile you will see a pig killed that doesn't look to far removed from a domestic pig. It only takes a few generations for them to lose the color, grow hair ect and with pigs a few generations can be less than 2 years. I would say we have a moderate climate for pigs but certainly nothing like further south where they really thrive. Our landscape also plays a factor. You can see on those outdated maps what pockets of the state are suitable. Large ag fields, low wet areas, softer soil. The exception is the mountains which from most accounts have some kind of Russian boar, razorback blood in them.

Great info thanks, always helps to get some more well rounded perspective. Interesting that the western hogs have that Russian blood. Before you squeeze the trigger on one of those western hogs do you say under your breath..."I will break you."?

hunter

Eight Pointer
Contributor
Great info thanks, always helps to get some more well rounded perspective. Interesting that the western hogs have that Russian blood. Before you squeeze the trigger on one of those western hogs do you say under your breath..."I will break you."?

There were a bunch of russian wild boar brought in for a hunting preserve early in the 1900s. According to local legend a bunch escaped during a grand hog hunt in the 1920s. They then commingled with feral and free-roaming domestic hogs. Or so the story goes. The wrc had a separate Wild Boar season in the western counties for decades.

appmtnhntr

Twelve Pointer
There were a bunch of russian wild boar brought in for a hunting preserve early in the 1900s. According to local legend a bunch escaped during a grand hog hunt in the 1920s. They then commingled with feral and free-roaming domestic hogs. Or so the story goes. The wrc had a separate Wild Boar season in the western counties for decades.

They're still there... :cool: albeit not as many as there were a few years ago...

And they are as close to "Razorbacks" as you're gonna see anywhere in this state...
Thermals make it tough as crap to hunt them in the mountains though...

Most of the time I'm always a couple steps behind them cause of the wind shifts and whatnot...

hunter

Eight Pointer
Contributor
You should always hunt with a slower friend. ;)

How fast does an angry pig run?

That used to be my approach to hunting and a lot of other things! I thought it was right funny! Up until I became the slower friend..... :)

Last edited:

Justin

Old Mossy Horns
The "russian" has just about been diluted out. I'd like to see some of these "Russians" in the robbinsville area, send me a pic. That's close to where the original Russians were. There were feral hogs before that and since then to dilute them down. Most hog strains will eventually go that body shape and color and "razor back" if they get to breed long enough without "help".

wildcat3

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
The "russian" has just about been diluted out. I'd like to see some of these "Russians" in the robbinsville area, send me a pic. That's close to where the original Russians were. There were feral hogs before that and since then to dilute them down. Most hog strains will eventually go that body shape and color and "razor back" if they get to breed long enough without "help".

The original "Russians" were part of a hunting preserve in the early 1900's. Does anyone know if they still any pigs in the mountains? The guys I hunted with in Hot Springs said they hadn't seen any in years.

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
The original "Russians" were part of a hunting preserve in the early 1900's. Does anyone know if they still any pigs in the mountains? The guys I hunted with in Hot Springs said they hadn't seen any in years.
Yeah, there are still some far back in the mountains. And they are just about as wild as you can get. You won't see many spotted up come out from up there once they are mature.

Justin

Old Mossy Horns

There are. My point was that there were feral pigs already out at that point, they were still free ranging domestic hogs at that point and using catch dogs when they wanted to slaughter one. Acorns and chestnuts were cheaper than corn and slop. The "Russians" up there got diluted pretty quickly over the years. Sure there are dark solid hogs with razor hair but the one I killed in SC, many I've seen all over the SE, look just the same as hogs up there.

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
There are. My point was that there were feral pigs already out at that point, they were still free ranging domestic hogs at that point and using catch dogs when they wanted to slaughter one. Acorns and chestnuts were cheaper than corn and slop. The "Russians" up there got diluted pretty quickly over the years. Sure there are dark solid hogs with razor hair but the one I killed in SC, many I've seen all over the SE, look just the same as hogs up there.
Yep, I wasn't implying that they were anything near "Russian" about them. I was saying they has completely morphed into feral hogs. The hump on the shoulders is completely pronounced, the tail is long and straight, and the hair looks like a buffalo. But you get the same thing in Ms, La, Ar and Ok. And several other states where they have been for quite some time.