Broad head question

team muddy creek

Twelve Pointer
My daughter is wanting to bow hunt this year for deer. She has been shooting alot this year every week, and has got real accurate. The archery shop where we purchased her bow said she needed to shoot an 85gr broadhead with her set up. She is shooting a diamond edge bow and i have turned it up all summer as she gets stronger. I have no way of putting it on a scale but i feel she is shooting legal poundage for sure. Should i get her a cut on contact fixed head or something different? I have taken several deer with a bow but have always used 100gr rage, muzzys, bloodrunner or strikers.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

brownisdown

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Absolutely no to the mechanical heads, even the reduced kinetic engergy type in my opinion. The 85 grain may have been recommended due to arrow spine but I'd personally reccomend any good sharp 100 grain in the cut on contact variety. NAP, Slick Trick, Muzzy, etc

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
The archery shop where we purchased her bow,,,,,,,,,I have no way of putting it on a scale but i feel she is shooting legal poundage for sure.

I'd take it back to that archery shop,,,,make sure it's at legal poundage

Guessing doesn't teach her the right thing

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
I'm with the above on a 100 grain cut in contact

I'm partial to slick tricks but I use their razor tricks that I don't think they make anymore (haven't looked lately)

shadycove

Twelve Pointer
Up the spine of her arrow [new arrows=$$$$] if you have to but do not, please do not, cripple her chances of a clean kill by using ANY 85gr broadhead.
Plenty of time to re-tune the bow for a new arrow/broadhead set-up.
I am near you, so let me know if I can help. {I have first hand professional experience on this}

Last edited:

Guybo

Eight Pointer
My daughter harvested her first bow deer using the same bow as your daughter. She was shooting 40lbs and used a 100gr Thunderhead. The shot was 15yds broadside and the arrow passed through the vitals with no problems. I've been using Thunderheads for over 25yrs with excellent results so needless to say that's the fixed head i always recommend. They've been around for a very long time for good reason, they work and work well. Good luck to you and your daughter.

kilerhamilton

Old Mossy Horns
I agree with above. 100gn head. Montec or standard trick. Muzzy makes a great head.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mjbrady

Twelve Pointer
I would suggest 100gr Magnus stingers also. You can get them scary sharp and the instant they hit they are cutting unlike a lot of newer styles fixed heads.

shadycove

Twelve Pointer
I would suggest 100gr Magnus stingers also. You can get them scary sharp and the instant they hit they are cutting unlike a lot of newer styles fixed heads.

The only thing about 2 blade heads is that if your form/release/tuning is not perfect, you may not have consistent accuracy. 2 blades are harder for fletching to correct an out tune flying arrow.
Stick with a good 100gr fixed head and good luck to your girl.

Speed1

Eight Pointer
Wasp broad heads are another choice

I think I have some of the Wasp 75 grain heads. I am assuming she will be light on spine with a 100 grain heads, that is the only reason I can think of as why the dealer would suggest 85 grain heads. If you want to try them let me know, they are brand new in package, and for her they will be free. Only stipulation is y'all have to send me a pic of the deer she kills with them. I am pretty sure there a 6 heads, might have some replaceable blades also.

JJWise

Twelve Pointer
Agree, don't use mechanicals. I've always had good luck with Muzzy MX-3. Every few years I'll try something new and I always end up back at Muzzy.

Colekira

Ten Pointer
Contributor
Up the spine of her arrow [new arrows=$$$$] if you have to but do not, please do not, cripple her chances of a clean kill by using ANY 85gr broadhead.
Plenty of time to re-tune the bow for a new arrow/broadhead set-up.
I am near you, so let me know if I can help. {I have first hand professional experience on this}
What's wrong with 85 grain broad heads?

1gonewrong

Six Pointer
I have never heard of a game warden checking poundage on any bow so I asked one I know quite well and he said he had never checked one and didn't know any warden that had checked one but it is a good idea to make sure you have enough poundage to be legal and ethical.

TravisLH

Old Mossy Horns

I'd like to know as well, sure there's less energy but if the bow has enough poundage to push a 100gn BH through the boiler room 15gn less shouldn't break a shots lethality.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
Just make sure whatever broad head you choose is 7/8" inch or wider to be legal

shadycove

Twelve Pointer
85gr BH

There is nothing really wrong with 85gr broadheads except their weight.
Due to weighing 40grs less than the optimal weight for a deer hunting head [125gr]. Lighter heads, mated with lighter arrows,
often lack the K/E to give good penetration.
In this case, you are working with a light [guess] draw weight bow, shooting an light arrow [not enough spine to handle a 100gr BH] by a beginning hunter. All this adds up to a greater chance of getting poor penetration on a deer. IMO, not a good idea for a beginner.
That being said, shot from a 60+ pound bow, an 85gr BH is OK but not the best choice IMO.
All this has been discussed ad nauseam here and at many deer camps.

5 Shot

Ten Pointer
My daughter shot a 200lb buck in Illinois a couple of years ago with a 35 lb Parker bow and a Magnus Buzzcutt. He didn't go 40 yards. Heart shot and it was ugly, lots of blood. Definitely don't use a mechanical.

agreenchicken

Ten Pointer
Agreed. I love the magus stinger... They always hold up and fly true. I used the Magnus black hornet last year and really liked them as the are 1.5 cut. I would still suggest the stinger with her set up though.

As for slick tricks I tried them and they were loud in flight. Made a hissing sound.

team muddy creek

Twelve Pointer
Thanks everyone for the imput, we went to S &S Graham in china grove today. We ended up getting slick tricks 100 gr.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk