Greenville little league World Series

gameland

Twelve Pointer
If there is a thread on this already I must have missed it. I know there are a lot of baseball fans on the site and I'm wondering if anybody has any connection to the team from Greenville that is playing in the World Series? My son was on a team that won a state title in Dixie youth baseball and a middle school county championship team and also played in Cooperstown on two different teams so I can only imagine the excitement of playing in the Little League World Series.

Familyman

Twelve Pointer
I don't have any connections to the team personally, but my cousin and hunting bud helped coach the 1998 team that made the LLWS. He and his son who played on the team and others went up to cheer on the 2017 team and it was cool to see them on TV while the announcers talked about their 1998 experience. I remember the '98 series like it was yesterday. My cousin's son Mike, who was playing right field, made a great, run-saving diving catch at a key moment in one game. The line drive was hit by Todd Frazier, who is still playing in the majors today with the NY Yankees.

The LLWS is so much fun...I look forward to watching Greenville this afternoon and plan to cheer them on to the 2017 championship. If this team continues to play like they did Friday night, they have a legitimate chance. They pulled off one of just 7 perfect games ever recorded in the history of the LLWS! Pretty dang impressive. Go Greenville!!

Last edited:

NCHNTR

Old Mossy Horns
That's cool familyman.

The main connection I have is that I played Greenville LL and played against and with this teams manager Brian Fields. His son had 2 big hits Friday. Hope they continue to play well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

deerslayer60

Ten Pointer
Only connection I have is I played on those fields not the newest one. Grew up 40 miles from there played all stars and many of tournaments there and even watched several world series games in the early 80s

dpc

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Only connection I have is I played on those fields not the newest one. Grew up 40 miles from there played all stars and many of tournaments there and even watched several world series games in the early 80s

Back when 15 was a two lane road. Like an interstate now.

Cool place to visit for sure.

QuietButDeadly

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
The home plate umping is certainly not up to the level of the play for sure. Neither is the level of the broadcast of the game. These kids do not get to play on national TV much and ESPN has pretty much ignored what was going on in the game for a half inning at a time on several occasions.

The good news....the left coast ran into a buzz saw today!

ksherb

Six Pointer
Contributor
California has just had an official tour of the backside of the woodshed. What a show.

dpc

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Yea that was an impressive win.

I thought California looked pretty good in last few games too.

Papa_Smurf

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Have a hard time watching them play because the games end so quickly.

Impressive for sure.

Sent from my LG-H820 using Tapatalk

Zach's Grandpa

Old Mossy Horns
Hats off to the coaches who have instilled a level of confidence in those players not often seen. No crazy antics or unnecessary celebrations just going about the business of doing what they know how to do. Impressive in all areas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Putt

Old Mossy Horns
That Texas team is no joke that they play next.. Don't look behind look ahead at the next opponent.. What you done is just that what you done.. NOW they have got to get ready for that Longhorn team. NC boys are good on the mound but that perfect game and NoNO is a team effort on defense, of which they are flawless. Keep it up.

Papa_Smurf

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Hopefully the Texas pitching isn't as good today since the kid that pitched wed can't pitch again.

Sent from my LG-H820 using Tapatalk

btsharky

Twelve Pointer
Well damn!! I was hoping for an outcome other than this but hats off to the players for an AWESOME season!!!!! :greenjump:

jenkinsnb

Ten Pointer
I didn't get to see the game this afternoon, but I feel like it's a bit of BS that the entire tournament is double elimination except for the championship spot. They go in 3-0 and lose their first game of the tourney and POOF, you can go home now. Hats off to both teams for some awesome baseball.

gameland

Twelve Pointer
I didn't get to see the game this afternoon, but I feel like it's a bit of BS that the entire tournament is double elimination except for the championship spot. They go in 3-0 and lose their first game of the tourney and POOF, you can go home now. Hats off to both teams for some awesome baseball.

I agree 100%

ScottyB

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
From a pitching standpoint......the one and done in the championship makes sense. There are no rest days this weekend. You have to save what you can for Sunday. It was a great run for those kids!! I thought they had it wrapped up.

firedawg60

Twelve Pointer

Well, technically they don't go home after that loss as they place the third place consolation game today, but I agree it isn't right.