What's the better shotgun?

bradman

Spike
I am planning to buy a shotgun for turkey hunting in the next couple of weeks. I don't have one that will work for that purpose at this time.
Both of these guns are 12 gauges, 3.5" chambers (although I'll shoot what patterns best). The shorter barrel loses approximately 15 feet per second per one inch of barrel that is missing from what I've been told. So, is 90 feet per second such a big deal that I buy a shotgun with six more inches of barrel? I really want the short barrel for a handy short shotgun. On the other hand, The Browning could be a Turkey and Duck gun and would probably be a smooth shooting shotgun.

1) Browning Silver, Automatic, 26" barrel, drilled and tapped receiver, will have to purchase an optic rail and a turkey choke. $700 Cash/Trade value

2) Remington 870 SPS Turkey, 20" barrel, drilled and tapped receiver with TruGlo optic included, complete with turkey choke. $550 Cash -$50 Remington Rebate = $500 Cash

Last edited:

lbksmom

Banned
I would go with the Browning, less recoil. Also I have noticed in my Browning 3" Federal #6 load will reach out to 50 yards Don't waste the $$ on a 3 1/2" more recoil if you want a bruised shoulder and lousy pattern, same powder as 3" more pellets to bounce around into each other. Good luck.

QBD2

Old Mossy Horns
The 870 fits and feels best. But, if it's not the best tool for the job.......

You just answered your question. Throw a good choke(personal experience says Indian Creek or Jellyhead in that particular gun) in that 870 and let it eat. The shur-shot stock is awesome, and you'll love the short barrel. Honestly, I'd stick with the fiber optic sights if your eyes work well enough. I like to keep my turkey rig simple, because I'm hard on it.

Last edited:

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I think the best turkey rigs today are specialized guns. Thumbhole stocks, raised sights, short barrels, etc. That dictates that your turkey gun and your wingshooting gun are 2 different weapons. I promise you that you won't be putting an aftermarket sight on that Browning, and then re-zeroing it every year with turkey loads.

I say get the Remington.

bradman

Spike
Gotcha. I might go ahead and get it while Remington has this rebate program going. Thanks guys, you are exactly right. I appreciate your opinions.

BigStrutter

Twelve Pointer
I built a specific turkey gun last winter and used it this past season. 3" Remington 870 with 20" barrel, fiber optic rifle sights, thumb hole stock. Put a Carlson's LB XR choke in it and shot Winchester LB XR #5 and it's badass. After carrying full size guns for years turkey hunting I kicked myself for not investing in a "custom" turkey gun before now. You'll love that little 870!!!

Ned
e6969f09ded3041062dab3e5e515c16b.jpg

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
The 870 fits and feels best. But, if it's not the best tool for the job.......

For my 2 cents, its no brainer there go with the 870 mine is nearly 20 years old now and still dropping birds with not one issue ever. To be flat 100% honest its gonna make more difference n the choke shell combo that you use than the gun an 870 or other guns for that matter will outshoot a very pricy one when set up right by pairing shell and choke another reason to go with 870 save that cash and get really good quality choke there are several options Jebs makes heck of one for that gun as well as Rhino.

hawglips

Old Mossy Horns
I'm not a fan of a short barrel. But if you shoot high quality ammo like TSS, any old gun will do.

bradman

Spike
So, I went down the road to Cross Creek Outdoor Supply and ordered a Remington 870 81062 SPS Turkey Shotgun today. It ended up costing me a little over $500 after the mail in rebate. Thanks for everyone's input, I really appreciate it. It just made sense to buy a designated gun for this. The 20" barrel and short length of pull all fit what I need. I'll probably never chamber a 3.5" shell in the gun, but who knows? I'll more than likely use 3" turkey shells for what I need.

60923.jpg

Last edited:

hawglips

Old Mossy Horns
Why?

My dad says the same thing about short barrels for turkey.

You lose velocity, and you have to work harder for patterns. I always shoot 26 - 28" barrels and never had an issue with whatever it is that some guys don't like about regular length barrels for turkey hunting.

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
You lose velocity, and you have to work harder for patterns. I always shoot 26 - 28" barrels and never had an issue with whatever it is that some guys don't like about regular length barrels for turkey hunting.

Thanks

Yeah I don't think longer barrels are handicap in turkey hunting

JONOV

Twelve Pointer
Possibly a dumb question as I've only hunted turkey's once and didn't shoot one...How often do you take a follow up shot? I can't imagine the advantage of the semi-auto comes into play much.

That said, Turkey loads kick, +1 for the Silver

Maneuverability is key, +1 for the 870...

I'm one of the few that can't stand the 870, though...