pressure cooking

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
So my wife picked us (well me, she won't us it as she has a adversion to pressure cookers exploding) up an electric pressure cooker at a yard sale,,,,nesco PC6-25

so I wanted to try it with some turkey legs,,,,normally I cook them slow in a crock pot,,,,,,

anyhow,,,,put two turkey legs, 1/2 an onion, and 6 cups(ish) of water into the pot,,,seasoned with cracker boy and pepper,,,and set it up to cook at high pressure for 20 minutes,,,,,,

start.jpg

when it was done I released the pressure, deboned the meat and then measured the liquid. I also did a taste test of the liquid to see if needed anything before I added rice (needed a bit more Cracker Boy and pepper),,,,added appropriate amount of Jasmine rice (3 cups in this case) and added the meat back into the mix. Reset the cooker for high pressure for 9 minutes,,,

once done, let the pressure drop slowly and opened her up,,,,rice turned out as "sticky rice" style (about my favorite),,,

a little siracha sauce,,,some cucumbers and tomatoes, and I was a happy fellow for dinner today,,,,

meal.jpg

so I turned what was a 9 hour process into a 35-40 minute process with that cooker,,,,,,I like

Last edited:

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
So tonight I did some feral hog ribs,,,

30 minutes total cook time (20 under pressure and 10 to set grilling sauce),,,

I liked,,,

Might take that one to next get together,,,,,,

ksherb

Six Pointer
Contributor
Looks real good. Would love to get one. Just afraid if I search for it on Amazon the black helicopters will show up.

ksherb

Six Pointer
Contributor
Sorry to keep bugging you. Where do you get your Cracker Boy? I have been ordering on line, but the only have the small jars. I need a couple of the big containers.

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
I got it first at the deer show down at Florence but they are at the Dixie deer classic every year. They changed their formulation a bit I think, but it's still one of my favorites

But lately I think they have only had the small containers

Firefly

Old Mossy Horns
Pressure cookers cook wonderful food and very quickly as well, your turkey legs and rice is always a great meal for sure..My Wife cooks collards in about 20 minutes or so with ours...Crock pot cooking ain't bad either, we just had a big pot of ham and dried lima beans in the crock pot, I stuffed myself with that..

chevync20

Twelve Pointer
I have been looking at getting one of these recently. Have not found one uses, but they are not too terribly expensive new and provide quicker dinners than a crock pot.

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
I have been looking at getting one of these recently. Have not found one uses, but they are not too terribly expensive new and provide quicker dinners than a crock pot.

yes, much quicker and (in my opinion) tastier - a crock pot drains the meat (for lack of a better description),,,makes it taste dry even though cooked wet and slow,,,,so not actually "dry" so I call it "drained",,,,,

pressure cooker didn't do that,,,,,,and I'm not kidding,,,those ribs were real nice,,,,,

GSOHunter

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
We love out pressure cooker. My wife got it on QVC. Nothing like excellent chicken in 15-20 minutes. Add on a couple minutes if it is frozen.

BarSinister

Old Mossy Horns
I use an old stove top model. I only blew it up once. I love cooking in it. I will pressure cook a lot of things before I throw them on the grill to char them up abit. My mom was telling me about one of these new fangled models that won't blow up. My wife wants me to have one too.

BTW that turkey rice dish looks delish.