Weeks farm dove hunt?

DozerD

Six Pointer
Any of you Harnett county folks every hunted on their farm opening weekend? How is the hunting? I have lost my private land spot that I had been fortunate enough to hunt the last 7 years. I've hunted the Jordan lake game land fields a lot over the last 10 years with very little success. There just never seems to be many birds.

LawDog

Ten Pointer
If it is the one in Dunn I have hunted there several times over the years and only shot a few birds. A lot of land and you are normally hunting over cut corn. If you can scout it our a day before and set up accordingly you may do very well.

jenkinsnb

Ten Pointer
If it is indeed the one outside of Dunn, I've hunted it before. The main field was cut corn, but if there was one guy on the field, there were 100. We decided on the lesser field which was soybeans. The birds are definitely going to head for the corn first, but there were a couple of shots to be had. Not enough for me to drive 2 hours up there though. Every time the cornfield lit up like a war zone, you could look closely and spot the lonesome bird flying the gauntlet. It was almost comical to watch/listen. There had to have been at least 3 guys shooting at the birds simultaneously all the way across the 100-man field the whole morning.

Steelshot

Eight Pointer
Hunted there a handful of years ago with a few friends. One day was enough for us and will not go back (to far to drive, lack of birds being the main reasons). IMHO there are better pay to play places. Not sure where your located in Harnett but, a drive to Tyson farms off of Hwy 87 is worth it in my opion. I have never been disappointed there I have limited out many times when I did my part right lol.

magnumbankshot

I have heard the Upton tyson is not opening up his place this year for dove season, I don't know where I will go; I was recovering from surgery last year and looking forward to this season.

Trappertod

Six Pointer
I live near four oaks and have hunted weeks farm many times. To me it is just not worth the cost now, over the years the number of birds has decreased there. Not sure if it is the vast amount of land or what. We have limited out there before, but as for this year I am looking somewhere new and weeks will be a last resort.

nc35hunter

Four Pointer
I hunt with a group of guys that has leased fields from Weeks on opening day for the past 10-12 years. It varies from year to year like anywhere else, but we usually do pretty well. 2 years ago was a little slow. Last year was one of our best ever.

I will post details a separate thread, but we are looking for 4 more to join our group on Saturday.