Dove hunt question

greenoakl

Six Pointer
Been invited on a dove hunt at a friend of mines small farm where they grow produce and flowers to sale at local farmers markets. After the everything is done he said they mow the fields and disc them then they sow wheat and oats for a cover crop. My question is is it legal to hunt over.? He said they have been doing it like that for years.

Jake NFC

Twelve Pointer
Very legal. Did it at our place for years. We asked the GW to come check it out for varification and her gave us the thumbs up. He actually hunted with us several days later.

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
I have an erosion issue possibly on my back acre,,,,,wonder if I can plant a cover crop,,,,say around 25 August???

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
yeah,,,that should hold the erosion at bay,,,,,,,,,,,of course I'll have to guard it,,,awful close to the gamelands,,,,wouldn't want someone to get in trouble!

hunter

Eight Pointer
Contributor
You should be ok as the wrc officers tend to take a pretty broad view of what is an "agricultural practice." They have easier cases to make on actual baiting and over the limit. My understanding is that a federal officer might take a much more narrow view though. The WRC used to have something on their website that provided details on what they considered a normal agricultural practice. Don't know if it is still there though.

Last edited:

hunter

Eight Pointer
Contributor
You should be ok as the wrc officers tend to take a pretty broad view of what is an "agricultural practice." They have easier cases to make on actual baiting and over the limit. My understanding is that a federal officer might take a much more narrow view though. The WRC used to have something on their website that provided details on what they considered a normal agricultural practice. Don't know if it is still there though.

Here is a link to their page: http://www.ncwildlife.org/Hunting/Where-to-Hunt/Public-Places/Baiting-Laws-When-Hunting-Ag-Areas