be careful what you wish for,,,,

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
so just a day or two ago, while discussing the merits of the .28 gauge, I typed this,,,,

.......expect if the .24 were more available I'd like the heck out of it as well

then today I looked at one,,,,used,,,,but an O/U .24 gauge,,,,,conniving to figure out how to buy it now,,,,,,,

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
so just a day or two ago, while discussing the merits of the .28 gauge, I typed this,,,,

then today I looked at one,,,,used,,,,but an O/U .24 gauge,,,,,conniving to figure out how to buy it now,,,,,,,
It is hard how to figure out how to buy it. It is just hard to figure out how to make those wheels in your mind quit turning about how "do I really need this". LOL

lasttombstone

Kinder, Gentler LTS
Same boat here woodmoose. Trying to finagle my way into a Remington XP-100. Good luck to both of us. Some things only come by once.

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
midway carries ammo,,,,,,,,,,,,,

could be a new rabbit gun in the house soon,,,,,,,,,,,,

brownisdown

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
You old rascals learned me something new today. Never knew a 24 gauge existed.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
yeap,,,,.36 gauge as well,,,,even held some .36 gauge shells

they are both still used in Europe,,,,,not so much here in the good old USA

Last edited:

2boyz

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
You old rascals learned me something new today. Never knew a 24 gauge existed.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

^^ Yes, .24 and .32 gauge are securely filed. The group that eats fish each November will note my progress. Thanks for this thread.

lasttombstone

Kinder, Gentler LTS
Being delivered Tuesday. Not everyone's piece of cake but being nylon, it will be easier on me toting it to the stand.

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
when I was a youth, that was one of those "wow" guns,,,,,had a fascination with them and TC Contenders,,,,never messed with that one,,,but have my share of TC barrels!!

ibgreen

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I beilieve I have a bunch of 32 ga solid brass shells squirreled away. Unfortunately it is berdan primed but can be converted to 209 primers with some effort. They are used in my circles to make 56-50/52 Spencer cases.

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
I beilieve I have a bunch of 32 ga solid brass shells squirreled away. Unfortunately it is berdan primed but can be converted to 209 primers with some effort. They are used in my circles to make 56-50/52 Spencer cases.

You can reload berdan.
You can use hydro to get the caps out and seat like normal.
Also a tool to dig them out.

I have not loaded them in some time but tools are still there and primers can be ordered.

shadycove

Twelve Pointer
.223. Took what was available. At least ammo is available.

Heck fire, any good 60gr Spire point or solid copper bullet will do just fine out to about 100yds in that gun. With proper bullet placement, of course.
I always wanted one in 222Rem.

Last edited:

lasttombstone

Kinder, Gentler LTS
"With proper bullet placement, of course."

You did have to go and qualify it, didn't you.
I'll keep my eye open for a .222 Rem. for you.

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns

Everthing is bullet placment.....

I dont care how good a shot someone is or how big or small the round is its all bullet placement. .....

Can't kill one with much less than a cannon if you hit the tree behind the deer or the ground at its feet.......

shadycove

Twelve Pointer
long read

Everthing is bullet placment.....

I dont care how good a shot someone is or how big or small the round is its all bullet placement. .....

Can't kill one with much less than a cannon if you hit the tree behind the deer or the ground at its feet.......

I have tracked alot of deer in my life. Some were shot with perfect shot placement and they still ran a little way but never far.
I have tracked some that were shot with bad shot placement and not all of those were found. Some made me wonder how they ran but they did.
I shot a buck running in a cutout with a 7mm mag, I had and followed pretty good blood but did not find him. He crossed my path again about 2 weeks later with a better outcome for me, I killed him at 40yds.
Looking at him afterwards, my first shot was too far forward and clipped him across the top of the front edge of his front leg. He bled, clotted up and was chasing a doe when I killed him.
I led him too much and hit him where I have seen many deer shot.
Bottom line is to put that bullet [be it 60grs or 300grs] in the sweet spot and they will go down quickly.

Last edited:

shadycove

Twelve Pointer

You did have to go and qualify it, didn't you.
I'll keep my eye open for a .222 Rem. for you.

Thanks LTS, but don't worry about the 222, I have a T/C Contender in 7TCU that will cover for the 222 niche pistol.

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor

Now own it,,,,,ammo in route,,,,,,

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
Or just bump your 28ga Flintlock with another 1/8oz of shot :)

there is that too,,,,,

this .24 gauge is a wand,,,,the grandkids will love it,,,,,,shells are on order,,,,need to find (or make) some reloading tools for it,,,,,,

bryguy

Old Mossy Horns
Very nice piece there....is the receiver blued or is it case hardened?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk