Saw this posted to social media- is there a right to retrieve dogs from posted

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
property? This post was specifically referring to NC.

If I drop my hounds on my own property and they run a deer to another piece of property that has posted signs I have every right to go get my dogs without taking my gun with me there's no law that stops me from going on that property to get my dog's now who is the cry baby mister hunter who is an active Hunter you're the crybaby because all you want to do is side with these bleeding heart liberals they want to try to take all of my rights away from me

Last edited:

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
No, been discussed many times here.

Va. and Mi. are the only two states around I know of that have it.

Last edited:

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
Thank you

Despite the poster's insistence you can trespass to retrieve hunting dogs, I was sure what you confirmed was the truth.

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Thank you

Despite the poster's insistence you can trespass to retrieve hunting dogs, I was sure what you confirmed was the truth.
Usually a citation/conviction makes the adamant see clearly on that matter.

DRS

Old Mossy Horns

....as should be. People like this give all of us dog hunters a bad name. Good relations with the neighbors is a good way to avoid such situations.

Ldsoldier

Old Mossy Horns

That said, most of the time nicely asking permission will get you access to get your dogs. That's provided you haven't been an :donk:donk:donk in the past and have a good relationship with the owner.

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
That said, most of the time nicely asking permission will get you access to get your dogs. That's provided you haven't been an :donk:donk:donk in the past and have a good relationship with the owner.
Kinda hard to have a good relationship with the owner if you live 6 states away and just happen to be here on a comp hunt. Usually those are the ones that think they have the right no matter what from my experience.

Ldsoldier

Old Mossy Horns
Kinda hard to have a good relationship with the owner if you live 6 states away and just happen to be here on a comp hunt. Usually those are the ones that think they have the right no matter what from my experience.

Somebody there should know the adjacent landowner, though.

aya28ga

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
"They want to try to take all my rights away from me".

That statement is the core of this poster's problem right there.

Too many hunters think that purchasing a hunting license confers on them some sort of right of trespass. I've had a similar debate with some of the local area hunters who are convinced that the law allows them to track & retrieve a wounded deer across property lines w/o landowner permission. (It doesn't).